Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion?

Posted by ED on 5/11/05 at 15:28 (174736)

I am having pain at the base of the big toe on one of my feet when I walk around. The pain is not in the large joint that protrudes toward the inside of the foot, below that joint I'm referring to. A couple years ago, a podiatrist looked at the foot in question and noted that a bunion might be forming. Somehow, I'm not thinking that this toe pain is a bunion because it's directly at the base of the toe, but maybe it is? The pain is not severe, but I'm wondering if I need to take some precautionary action if it's the beginning of a bunion. I tend to think of bunions as an overly large protrusion that makes shoes pinch in that one location. This is not the case for me. I should also mention that I have pain/sensitivity fanning out across the top of that foot - feels like pain you'd experience if you tied your shoes way too tight. I'd welcome any thoughts. I've had PF in the past (other foot) and this current pain is nothing by comparison, but I'm very sensitive to foot pain because I know how some foot problems can make you essentially immobile for very long periods of time and I don't want to go through anything like that again, especially if untreated....Thank you.