Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Richard's Softer Orthotics?

Posted by JanP on 5/12/05 at 08:19 (174803)

Richard:

One thread mentioned telling their Dr. how 'you' make orthotics. You make a softer version? That has always seemed like what I need.

I have had custom 'Footleveler' orthotics, as well as numerous over the counter ones. My podiatrist sold me a pair of Power Steps, which are also sold on this site. I returned them. Most if not all orthotics end up feeling like they're causing too much pressure in my arch area. My Dr.'s have said I have a borderline high rigid arch.

It's a catch 22 situation. I need the arch support, but it always irritates (too much pressure) even from the over the counter ones. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

JanP

Re: Dr Richard's Softer Orthotics?

Linda V on 5/12/05 at 18:13 (174845)

Jan,
My orthotics are not considered 'hard' ones. They are leather over cork, so they have a bit of 'give' to them. And even so, it did take a while to get used to them. The c-ped who made them for me absolutely made me promise to come back if I was not satisfied. I liked the way he took the fittings for them..seated, he manipulated my knee to get the position into the mold. I think he got a good impression that way. Don't give up!!!!

KW on 5/12/05 at 19:29 (174850)

I'm feeling discouraged about this too! I thought I had a very good pair and then my achelies tendon started to hurt. My problem seems to be that I have such a sensitive arch that anything will flare it up, but like Jan, I also need the arch support. Ahhhh - I feel so discouraged over this!

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/12/05 at 20:41 (174857)

Jan:
Orthotics don't have to place a lot of pressure in the arch in order to support the arch.
Ed

KW on 5/13/05 at 13:17 (174915)

Where do we find the orthotics that don't put a lot of pressure on the arch, but also support it? That's what I need. Thanks!

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/13/05 at 13:34 (174920)

KW:
I am unsure where you would find a pre-fab device that fits your needs but certainly a custom device made to a mold or image of your foot can be made to do anything we want it to (except eat your breakfast). It can have any arch height, support the midtarsal joint, support the subtalar joint.... the number of permutations is basically infinite.
Ed

Re: Orthotics without arch pressure

JanP on 5/13/05 at 15:51 (174942)

I echo KW's question as to where to find the right custom made orthotics. My podiatrist suggested his custom made ones, but after he taped my foot and it didn't help, he pretty much gave up on me. I'd like to know which labs you would recommend, and then maybe I could work backwords and find a Dr. who works with that lab. Is that possible?

JanP

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/18/05 at 15:44 (175257)

Jan:
Taping is often a good test to see what happens when you take the tension off the fascia. If taping does not work, I would revisit the diagnosis. Most heel pain is caused by PF but not all. It may be time to dig deeper.
Ed

Karen C on 6/09/05 at 18:46 (176411)

I have recently ordered orthotics from Dr. Kiper (found him on this site)
he makes silicone orthotics that are soft and move with/under your arch as you step. He sends you some molds you mail them back and then he sends the orthotics to you, You post emails and he reponds every day, his goal is to get the fit right. He will work with how you respond to a basic test you do every few days. There is a 100% money back guarentee. I have had them for a couple of weeks and the more I wear them and then switch to my old rigid orthotics the more uncomfortable the rigid ones feel, like they are bruising my instep. I have flat feet, not high arches so I cannot tell you if they would work for you, but I can tell you Dr. Kiper is very nice and very attentive, better than most Doc's I've seen in person.
My condition is chronic 4 years, not typical PF, suffering gravely for the last 15 months, I am very optimistic about these, and if your looking for soft this could be worth a look.
http://www.drkiper.com