Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking-Running Shoe Size

Posted by John H on 5/12/05 at 08:59 (174811)

2. Buying walking shoes the same size as your regular shoes.

Do your fingers swell when you walk? Guess what - your toes are swelling even more! Your walking shoes should be larger than your regular shoes, because your feet swell up to a full shoe size when you walk for over half an hour. If your shoes aren't big enough, you can end up with black toenails, blisters, and foot pain from this swelling. Give up on shoe size shyness and get fitted correctly. You may find that your walking shoes are too big to wear around the office or home when you aren't walking. If so, save them for walking.
Getting Fit Right for Shoes

Re: Walking-Running Shoe Size

Julie on 5/12/05 at 09:05 (174813)

'Give up on shoe shyness' - a great motto, John. And you are absolutely right about walking shoes. Mine are a full size bigger than my others. (Actually I never wear any others any more.)

Re: Walking-Running Shoe Size

Buck T. on 5/12/05 at 18:46 (174846)

Hi youall: I recently had my feet measured in several different shoe stores. One store made me a size 8 both feet. Second store a size 71/2 both feet. Third store size 71/2 one foot -- size 8 other foot.

I finally reasoned out the problem. When being measured, the clerk wasn't pushing the heel all the way back in the measuring device. The heel ideally should be snug against the cup shaped thing.

Sincerely, Buck T.