Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What does heel pain feel like?

Posted by Ted on 5/12/05 at 19:50 (174851)

I never had heel pain before. The pain from my pf has always been in my arch. However recently I have been having pain in my heel. This seemed to start after I was taping. I'm wondering if it is the tape or my pf? When I started taping I started to feel one of my heels like it was irritated. I thought it might be the tape. One day it got really bad. The heel pain feels like a blister. I think my heel gets inflammed and then it makes it feel like a blister because no blister shows. However, what is causing the inflammation? Does this sound like normal pf heel pain? When it feels like a blister?

Re: What does heel pain feel like?

Linda V on 5/13/05 at 06:46 (174875)

I imagine everyones heel pain is a bit different. I would describe mine as feeling like I had just jumped out of a tree and landed on my heel.And I had the traditional first step pain....and also the sudden sharp pain at times like I was walking on a small sharp pebble.

John H on 5/13/05 at 09:44 (174891)

I have never had heel pain either. The 'classic' place for PF pain is where the band of fascia from the great toe attaches to the heel. This would be on the inside bottom of the foot just forward of the heel. PF does present pain in other areas of course. I always wonder why the call it 'heel pain'?

KW on 5/13/05 at 13:06 (174909)

I also have pain in my arch. When I tried taping it also moved to my heel. My feeling was the presure was being released from my arch, but there was not a lot of pressure where the fascia connected to the heel closer to thee heel).

Terri on 5/13/05 at 15:20 (174935)

I've had sharp pain, soreness, burning sensation, tingling, heel soreness, arch soreness, and in one foot it felt like a plastic knife was digging into my heel. Another time it felt like glass was in my foot. Sometimes it feels like a blister or sandpaper is rubbing against my foot. Spring of 2004 it felt like my foot was broken. I couldn't even tell where the pain was coming from my whole foot hurt so much.

Re: Enigma of pf

Ted on 5/14/05 at 00:48 (174971)

Thank you all for your posts. It was insightful. What I am learning is that it takes time to evaluate your own PF and then to formulate a treatment around that evaluation with constant adjustments. Even some options are limited.

For me right now I'm trying to understand how best to appraoch my PF. That is why I'm trying to analyze my pain. It is true that pain can be subjective based on the person and there is no 'one' pain factor for PF. I'm learning it more and more. However, insight from others is helpful to eliminate or include options tried or not.

I'm a bit frustrated right now because the taping job I am doing (from ths site) is doing wonders for my arch and tight PF. It becomes softer with each taping and massage. Nevertheless, the taping is hard on the balls of my feet and heel because I do stand a lot at work. So one pain is replaced by another. So I guess I need to make the taping not so tight and risk some tightening of the PF. Reading and re-reading the taping section of this site is helping.

Thanks again for your insights.

Julie on 5/14/05 at 04:06 (174977)

Hello Ted

I'm wondering if you've seen a podiatrist. If you get lucky, and see one who knows his or her stuff, and carries out a full examination and evaluation, you will almost certainly get a more accurate idea of what is causing your PF, and a better idea of how to treat it. A good dpm should be able to prescribe a package of treatments that addresses what Dr Ed calls the treatment triad: inflammation, biomechanics (most commonly the cause) and tissue quality.

You do need to experiment further with your taping technique. Once you get the tension just right you may find that taping gives you even more relief.

It would also help yo a good look at your work duties: it may not be absolutely necessary for you to stand as much as you are standing, and the more you can unload your feet the better it will be for them. Also consider the surface you are standing on. If it's unforgiving, like concrete, or just uncarpeted, and if you don't have to move around a lot but stand mostly in one place, you could improve it just be putting down a thick carpet square underfoot.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/14/05 at 10:55 (174996)

Ted:
Taping is designed, uusually, to be used intermittently, not constantly. Consider alternating taping with an orthotic (like a permanent taping).
Ed

Ted on 5/14/05 at 13:13 (175005)

I am actually to see a Pod on Monday. I do where an orthotic with the taping. I am also looking a shoes now as well. I just posted on the shoes in the other section. I have already seen a Pod in the past.

The things that have worked wonders so far is icing, ACT, rest, foot exercies, and a simple orthotic (some orthotics are too ridged and dig into my PF).

The thing w/ any doctor. I hope we can work together. I don't want to impose my opinion on him/her and I don't want the Pod to impose their 'silver bullet' view on me. We need to work as a team.

Ron on 5/14/05 at 21:48 (175046)

>Does this sound like normal pf heel pain?
>When it feels like a blister?

No, it doesn't. But there is no 'normal' that I am aware of. You either have PF or you don't. Originally my PF just hurt in the morning on my first few steps. Then it progressed where my whole foot hurt, including my arch and my the front part of my foot. Now, my feet hurt even after walking for a short time, and I would describe it as excruciating pain.

To give you an idea, take a 16 penny nail and lay it long-ways in the shoe and leave the head around the heel. Walk on that all day. Now you know how I feel. :-(

Granted, things have gotten better since my treatments as of late, but there's no guarantee to that one.