Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stretch for high arch?

Posted by Steve on 5/14/05 at 16:58 (175030)

I get pain in legs and hips whenever I tried to run, and went to a podiatrist. I was told that I have extremely high arch and my orthotics are on their way. I also go to yoga classes. The yoga teacher showed me how to strengthen arch and stretching planter fascia, saying it helped him as he has flat feet. Would they work for me with high arch as well, or not?
Some article says 'strengthening' doesn't help rigid arch, so I am wondering.

Thanks!

Re: stretch for high arch?

Julie on 5/15/05 at 03:16 (175059)

Steve, I gave my thoughts on this on the other thread on which you asked the same question, but as it was at the bottom of a 6-month-old thread, I'll copy what I said here:

I would be inclined to leave that exercise out. The muscles in a 'really high arch' are probably short and tight, and strengthening exercises generally shorten muscle fibres. I would be inclined to stick to the stretching exercises and aim to lengthen those muscles. Have you looked at the Foot Yoga exercises and the Plantar Fascia Stretch?

Steve on 5/15/05 at 18:41 (175104)

Thank you for the answer!
I will try these stretches. I have been weight lifting for years, which of course involve extensive squats. Squatting never bothered me, but could it be harmful for PF?
Thanks!

Julie on 5/16/05 at 02:54 (175113)

I'd be inclined to give squatting a miss for now: squats are a powerful stretch for the calf muscles and achilles tendons, and that can put great tension on the plantar fascia. If the fascia has developed microtears at its insertion point in the heel bone (the most common form of pf) weightbearing stretching, including squats, can make the situation worse.

Steve on 5/19/05 at 10:08 (175319)

My orthotics are comming any time, and I am wondering if I can start running with it when I get them. The only reason I went to the podiatrist is that I have problems when I run, and I would like to try them.
The doctor also mentioned that he can give me steroit injection in the heel, and I am also wondering if I should get one before I start running.
Thanks!

john h on 5/19/05 at 21:43 (175341)

Steve you need to break in the orthotics. Wear them an hour or two the first day and gradually build up your time in them. They may cause your feet to hurt more initially. I would not recommend running just because you have new orthotics. Probably a good reason not to run. They very well may need some adjusting after a while for even custom orthotics need tweeking. Careful is the word.

JanP on 5/19/05 at 22:25 (175345)

Julie, in a previous message you suggested skipping the strengthening exercises for a high arch. That makes sense to me, and I have dropped the 'foot crawl' from my routine of your yoga stretches.

In another thread Mike W says (if I understand correctly) that we shouldn't perform any flexor muscle exercises when treating pf. Is that what I am doing when I point my toes away from me during the yoga stretches? Would that be an area that you and he disagree, or am I misunderstanding something?

Once again, I have a high arch, and I realize that much of the treatment I have been advised to pursue previously was for normal or flat footed persons.