Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ART vs. deep massage

Posted by Pat W on 5/16/05 at 10:25 (175120)

I am interested in trying active release therapy, and there are a couple of practioners in my area. However, I have very sensitive feet, i.e. stretching has caused bad setbacks several times, and I can't ice without causing inflammation. I'm wondering if ART would be too hard on my feet. Has anyone had a setback from ART? My feet do like massage, but I'm worried about deep massage. I read a lot of posts on ART on this board and have looked at other web sites, but I just can't get a grip on how aggressive a treatment it would be. Any more specific information would be appreciated.

Re: ART vs. deep massage

Kristie on 5/16/05 at 12:03 (175129)

I had none both. I really like going to ART Theraphy. There are some great advanges to ART. One, most ART theraphist are chiropractors. They are very educated and you can run the cost of each sesion throgh your insurance.

Also, I feel so much better going to see my Art theraphist every week. He really knows what he is doing. It's not painful at all. It really feels better afterwards.

Give it a try.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 5/17/05 at 20:20 (175221)

Hello there,

I am a chiropractor and I'm certified in full body ART. Before you embark on the treatment of your PF please realize that it is a very tricky condition to get a hold of. There are many variables that will predict the outcome of your care. I've had many successes with PF using ART but I've also had patients that it didn't help at all. ART is a soft tissue mobilization technique that will breakup fibrotic tissue within muscles, tendons, ligaments, and fascia. It is also used to free entrapped nerves. I would give it a try. Good luck

John H on 5/18/05 at 09:12 (175233)

Doctor Sanfilippo it is encourgaging to see a Doctor step up and say sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 5/18/05 at 16:27 (175270)

John, I thank you for the kind words. A good doctor in my opinion is willing to admit that he/she doesn't know everything and that they can't cure everyone. I'm a realist and I know when I can't go any further. Thanks again.

Pat W on 6/08/05 at 15:48 (176344)

Kristie,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I decided to go ahead with ART and just had my second visit today. I'll let you know what happens after awhile.

pat