Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Monday Update

Posted by elvis on 5/16/05 at 20:02 (175152)

I just reported in to my podiatrist that the last 3 days have been about 80% less pain than I've had in over a year (excluding my cast when I didn't have any pain). I'd give it a 1-2 on a scale of 10. He said that he wants to make me new orthotics. His feeling is that if the support that I got from the tape can be replicated in an orthotic then I may get complete relief from a new set of orthotics thus making the ESWT unecessary. I go tomorrow to see him and get fitted for a new orthotic.

Re: Monday Update

Dr. Z on 5/16/05 at 20:24 (175153)

Elvis,

Is there any pain with examination at the plantar fascia insertion

elvis on 5/16/05 at 20:28 (175154)

I just checked and it's a little tender across the whole heel but I have to push really hard. The pain has always been centered (the hot spot!) on the lateral part of my heel. That's where it is the most tender. I'll have the doctor check it in the morning.

elvis on 5/17/05 at 15:11 (175194)

Went to the doctor this morning. He said that reduction in pain with taping correlates with about 80-90% success in orthotics. He fit me for some new orthotics. ESWT is now on the back burner. He gave me a 'baby step' plan to get back on my feet. 15 minute walk. If no increase in pain then 20 mintues/day. Do that for a couple of days and then gradually build up to one hour. After I can walk for one hour then I can start in with some samll amounts of jogging and gradually build that up till I am back to jogging.

Ralph on 5/17/05 at 15:32 (175195)

Elvis,
Sounds like a plan and more importantly you sound very comfortable with your doctor so lets hope it's a win win situation for you.

My only suggestion comes from reading this board and that is to find out what his return policy on the orthotics is. Can you return them if you can't wear them? Would he consider a partial refund. I think others that couldn't wear the orthotics wished they had made a deal prior to delivery.

I hope they are the answer for you and you say goodbye to foot pain for good.

elvis on 5/17/05 at 16:04 (175199)

I've worn orhtotics for the last 15 years. That's a risk I'm willing to take. I know there is no guarantee that they will work or that I will be able to wear them. I wouldn't think of asking for a refund.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/17/05 at 16:13 (175202)

Elvis,

We have a 100% money back guarantee with our orthosis. Sorry no refund with the airfare. Just joking
It sounds like you are on the correct path and that the orthosis will help you .
I will tell you that the success rate with lateral plantar fasciitis isn't vey good

elvis on 5/17/05 at 17:13 (175209)

LOL! I've already figured out that the success rate for lateral pf isn't very good! LOL We shall see. I'll tell you one thing, I already feel much better since last Friday when I got my first real hope of getting rid of this SOB heel pain!

Re: Lateral PF?

Ted on 5/17/05 at 19:31 (175211)

What is lateral PF exactly? Why so hard to heal?

Re: Lateral PF?

Dr. Z on 5/17/05 at 19:33 (175212)

There are three bands that make up the plantar fascia. Medial, Center, and lateral.
The lateral is on the outside and is usually due to poor gait or compensation from medial band plantar fascia. It isn't hard to heal if you know the cause of why it developed in the first place.