Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Custom Orthotics

Posted by Ted on 5/17/05 at 19:44 (175214)

Any recommendations on custom orthotics other than trying to get a money back guarantee?? I mean in the type of orthotic and whether to get the full orthotic to the toes? What is your experiences good or bad w/ custom orthotics??

Re: Custom Orthotics

Karen on 5/18/05 at 12:59 (175250)

My first pair are made of fiberglass, they were cast at a Doctors office laying on my stomach with my feet hanging off the table. They are very hard, but seem to fit my feet well. I have had them 4 years and wear them every minute. I have recently taken to putting them under my sneaker inserts for added padding. I was told to try a softer orthotic and goat a pair made but the arch seemed to not have enough support. Maybe because those were made by stepping into a form and I have flexible flat foot syndrome.

Everyone is different. You may have high arches, some people can never get used to orthotics, I had very little trouble getting use to first pair and wouild not walk without them.
Karen

Linda V on 5/18/05 at 16:22 (175268)

My othotics were made by a c-ped. They are 3/4 length and made of cork with a leather top. He was very fussy about making them in a foam box mold with me being seated while he manipulated my foot and knee into the foam. I never had to go back for an adjustment, although he told me to come back anytime if I had problems. I think there are other posts if you do a word search.

Ralph on 5/18/05 at 20:55 (175288)

The one's my Pod made for me went to the ball of my foot and were made of a hard plastic material. They didn't give at all and after several adjustments and continued pain from wearing them (more than with out them)I threw them in my closet where they still sit today.

I wouldn't recommend the hard type but that's me and my experience.

john king on 6/01/05 at 14:59 (175991)

Karen

I could not walk without my orthotics.