Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasciitis

Posted by Remi on 5/17/05 at 23:08 (175224)

Is operation the best cure for PLANTAR FASCIITIS?.If it by how many persentage?.

Re: plantar fasciitis

Karen on 5/18/05 at 12:50 (175248)

I am not a doctor. In my case they told me my problem was not surgerical & to try all conservative treatments first. I have done taping and custom orthotics which 'cured' me the first time (it took about 2 years). The second time (2 years later) with PF has been more difficult. I have had shots, a cast, physical therapy, iontoferecsis, taping, rest. The Dr. told me to wait a year before a year before considering surgery. After a year, another Dr. told me I was not a canidate for surgery, silly me, I didn't ask why, but I am flat footed and 50 years old and my guess is they don't have good surgical results. I guess it depends on your case.
Karen

Ron on 5/18/05 at 13:09 (175251)

I'm no doctor, but what I've read on PF it looks operating on the foot for this should be your last option. For some people it's their only hope and that's understandable. You should try some of the other conservative approaches before going under the knife:

Stretching
Orthotics
losing weight (if applicable)
ESWT
ART
Massage
Excercise

From reading about the treatment of PF with an operation, there is a risk that the condition can get worse; that is, any complications might become irreversable.

Almost universally, Doctor's believe that tightness in the lower extremeties is the cause of PF. So, stretching is usually prescribed first. When that fails then other methods are tried until you have no choice but to get operated on.

john king on 5/18/05 at 16:01 (175263)

Does not PF surgery work best for those with first step pain? If you whole foot hurts does that make you a bad candidate for surgery?

Ron on 5/18/05 at 17:23 (175276)

> Does not PF surgery work best for those with first step pain?

This is predominately one of the major symptoms of PF. I couldn't answer if this symptom is ever absent in PF. Just from reading so many people who have it it appears to be pretty rare not to have it.

> If you whole foot hurts does that make you a bad candidate for surgery?

I couldn't answer that.

I've also never heard of any study on treating PF via an operation, or how successful the outcome. That goes for any kind of operation. How many debates have you ever heard of where two people are discussing an operating treatment, and one says, 'where's the double-blind clinical study that proves that an operation works'? Where in this universe has this become an acceptable treatment for anything, regardless of logic to the contrary?

The reason why I'd advise anyone I can against this, except for the truly desperate, is that operations, and much of modern medical science with all its technology, is horrible in treating long-term debilitating diseases. 'First, do no harm' is violated by too many physicians, if you ask me. And unfortunately modern medical techniques have a bent on the probability of 'doing more good than harm.' Life and death decisions work best on this principle, not treatments for enduring illnesses.

Re: plantar fasciitis and SURGERY

Kat C. on 5/19/05 at 15:39 (175328)

Hi there,
Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Appreciate those who advise that surgery is a final option. After 18 months of suffering with PF, and during that time I tried all the conservative treatments, I ended up having surgery on April 11th. Cortisone shots gave the most relief, but certainly was not a permanent solution. Iontophoresis was also helpful, which was tried during my 2nd 8-week phys therapy session, but again, was I going to do that for the rest of my life? Not if my insurance company had anything to say about it. The night splint was marginally successful in relieving the morning first step pain, but only if I could make it through the night without other parts of my foot going numb and waking me up. When I finally analyzed the limited success of all the conservative approaches and saw only about a 20% improvement overall, I explored ESWT and surgery. Well, ESWT is not covered by insurance because they deem it experimental, and my doc did not recommend that for my situation. Orthopedic surgeon who specializes in foot/ankle and sports injuries did my open fasciotomy. I'm 5+ weeks post-op, and I'll just say the jury's still out whether this is going to 'solve' my PF problem.

john king on 5/20/05 at 16:56 (175388)

I tend to agree with you Ron. I had surgery on my shoulder and wrist and I am no better and maybe worse than I was before. No surgery is minor if they have to put you under.

Re: plantar fasciitis and SURGERY

Stupe on 6/06/05 at 18:45 (176211)

Did you have post-op pain? Did you have medication to take if needed and given crutches?

I am 6 days post-op and still have surgical pain and wondering if this is normal as my Dr told me I would have NO post-op pain... just 'soreness'

Your input/advice would be greatly appreciated...