Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

need some help

Posted by Scott R on 5/18/05 at 15:51 (175259)

I need a few people to post reviews of taping and my book:

http://heelspurs.com/aaa.cgi?w=boo
http://heelspurs.com/aaa.cgi?w=tap

Re: need some help

Ralph on 5/18/05 at 16:34 (175271)

Scott,
I've read your book and I don't know exactly what you are looking for in the was of a review. I think the book is great.

Narrowing in on a specific area I'd ask how current is the information that you list under ' Diabetes, Cancer, and Heart Disease'? Since these conditions seem to the the targeted health conditions that get a lot of new research and attention is the information you provide current and still advisable? The same would be true for the diet section and supplements.

On to taping. I understood the explaination because the pictures provided help a great deal. Currently I use a modified version using the athletic tape from drug stores, WalMart etc. I think it's helped me a great deal and glad it was part of your book. I don't think I would have thought of it on my own. At times I do have problems with the skin on my feet peeling under the tape so I have to let them heal and continue with tape a few days later. I never leave it on overnight. New tape every day when I use it.

Overall I think you have a good book and would only have to update it as new treatments or health issues change.

Scott R on 5/18/05 at 17:11 (175274)

Ralph, The second half of the book hasn't had a major revision in a while (i might still talk about celebrex or vioxx) but the nutritional information was already known, strong, and valid in 1970 and there hasn't been any research since then to justify modification. All the 'news' about supplements in the past 20 years has been mostly 2nd rate researchers trying to make a name for themselves and the media trying to sell their hogwash as useful 'new' information. 80% of the time the info is just plain wrong. Generally, chemotherapy and such is just as useless as it was in 1950, and supplements are just as beneficial.

Please just post an honest reveiew of the book and taping method and give it a rating for the benefit of future visitors who are looking for a good treatment.

Ralph on 5/18/05 at 20:46 (175285)

I think I did that already in my opening sentence. I think most people here would agree with the word 'great'.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/18/05 at 22:00 (175303)

Scott:
I would apply the tape with the plantar fascia in the relaxed position, that is, not with the foot pulled upward as you are actually taping the fascia with the foot held in a position of mild stretch of the fascia. Tape the foot in the relaxed position, that is hanging down slightly so that the position of minimal fascial tension is maintained. I would end strip number 3 just behind the big toe joint so that the first metatarsal heaed is pulled down but the joint mobility is not restricted (end strip #3 about a 1/2 inch shorter than shown).
Ed

Karen on 5/19/05 at 05:19 (175307)

Scott
I have tried many treatments over the past 14 months, and only still have the ability to walk for very short distances. I have been using tape for only 4 days and I have been seen immediate improvement. I only used the tape for about 4 hours the first day, and I am applying it with feet in a partially flexed position so as to try it out in a gradual manner. I will start today with foot unflexed, as advised (see previous thread) and see how my feet like it. I find it a little tricky the get the pieces applied, in the right angles as shown in your book, but I'm getting better at it. I am also using a thin coating of Mallox to protect my skin. I wished I tried this months ago.
Thank you Scott!
Karen

Scott R on 5/19/05 at 06:28 (175308)

Dr. Ed,
When taping yourself, the PF is going to be in a somewhat relaxed unless you go to a fair bit of effort to pull the foot back. I used strip #3 only when i thought strip #1 would come lose. Strip #1 is the key. I did strips #1 and #2 for maybe 2 years every morning and took them off at night. Very very slowly i could see my heel healing as i weaned myself off tape. It took about 2 months to get good at knowing how to apply the tape. Very minor changes in tension and position make huge differences in trying to find a balance between protecting the PF connection to the heel and not restricting the mobility of the 1st metatarsal too much. The more forward the 1st metatarsal moves, the more stress in that crucial segment of the PF.

Scott R on 5/19/05 at 06:30 (175309)

Hi Karen, after a month or more, come back and post a message to the taping 'customer review' form. I'm including a copy of the taping document in every order we send (it's on the back side of our one-page 'catalog').

Susan on 5/19/05 at 07:32 (175310)

I think Scott wants the reviews posted with the products on the Products page.

JanP on 5/19/05 at 09:46 (175315)

Scott:

I've been taping for about two weeks now, along with Julie's stretching and some of yours, and definitely feel an improvement.

As for the taping instructions, it seems like it might be beneficial to differentiate between high arch and normal or flat feet. My high arch foot can't even move if I tape in a relaxed position. I have to dorsiflex slightly. The second piece seems to be just as important, and has to be in an even more dorisflexed position, otherwise it pulls and hurts that side of my foot.

Your comment earlier in the thread about it taking a month to learn how would be pertinent also so people don't give up too easily. I couldn't say for sure during the first week whether it was helping, but decided it couldn't be doing damage, so I continued. Thanks so much for your help!

JanP on 5/19/05 at 09:47 (175316)

Sorry my message ended up in the middle of this thread....:(

Scott R on 5/19/05 at 17:58 (175333)

Thanks Susan, yes, that's what i meant. There are a few products with not enough reviews.

john h on 5/19/05 at 21:47 (175343)

I 'believe' the foot should be taped in a slightly dorsiflexed position as a matter of routine.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/05 at 12:05 (175358)

Scott:
True -- I have taped myself on a number of occasions and find that when my leg is crossed over to bring my foot up, the foot is sufficiently relaxed. I was just concerned that the picture looked like the foot was too 'erect' or more accurately, a bit too dorsiflexed.
Ed

Re: need some help, ps

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/05 at 14:46 (175377)

The reason why I tape myself on occasion is that I had some plantar fasciitis develop in my left foot. At the very first twinge, I immediately apply ultrasound, ice and tape, then get back to wearing my orthotics. So I never really give it a chance to act up. It has not acted up in quite a while. The one problem is that I cannot cast myself for orthotics so they are not 100 percent correct by my standards (I am extremely picky about how they are made but do my own adjustments so I don't drive the lab nuts). Northwest Labs uses its proprietary bio-vac casting method on me and do use their orthotics for my personal use.
Ed