Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scientists say sunshine may prevent cancer.

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 5/21/05 at 16:53 (175441)

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050521/D8A7MPFG0.html

Check the archives as I had posted on this subject before. Sunshine is not the great 'evil' that some have made it sound like.

This article focuses on the role of sunshine in helping our bodies make vitamin D3. There is much we don't understand about how light energy affects our body. There is a wave-particle duality of light in which light can be viewed as a wave but has particle-like properties with the particles of light known as photons.
Ed

Re: Scientists say sunshine may prevent cancer.

Ron on 5/22/05 at 15:46 (175482)

I think if anyone listens to studies by doctors too much they'll go insane. Hasn't the medical community been prescribing no sun to prevent skin cancer?

These contradictions really don't surprise me. We have been dissected into too many parts medically and too many competing factions are trying to do the best for their particular outlook.

This reminds me of a book I heard about by Robert Herbold, 'The Feifdom Syndrome ....' The book's about competing factions, almost like mini-companies, in the same company that can destroy the business from within. If you compare the same belief towards different medical professions, you can see how they can equally cause problems. Each profession compartmentalizes your body into what's best from their perspective, all the while not looking at the whole picture.

vince on 5/22/05 at 16:27 (175487)

As with other warnings about things that harm your health or about things that should be of a benefit- there is one word often missing- MODERATION

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/23/05 at 22:58 (175588)

Vince:
I agree wholeheartedly. Ben Franklin had it right. Everything in moderation.
Ed

Necee on 5/23/05 at 23:05 (175591)

Well, I must be in good shape regarding the sun and cancer. I spend a lot of time outdoors. My husband is always fussing at me saying I need to wear sunscreen, etc. Since when do wives ever listen to their husbands!

Necee

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/23/05 at 23:07 (175592)

Ron:
That is why reasonable doctors will admit that medicine is an art. One cannot practice medicine based on a bunch of studies put out by drug companies, insurance companies, equipment companies and so on...
One can design a study to tell you almost anything. 'Lies, lies and d-mn statistics.' The more variables, the more the study can be manipulated. If you are going to look at a study it has to be simple, with as few variables as possible. Like with ESWT -- it either changes the quality of ligaments and tendons or it does not -- sort of like saying my knife will slice this piece of bread or it will not. Notice the resistance to doing studies this way the resistance is based on medical politics. That is why I ask, if you take a stand on something, let us know who you are or who you represent (work for).
Ed

John H on 5/24/05 at 10:21 (175622)

One need to examine closely the findings. The study says you can get Vitimin D from sunshine which helps prevent some cancers. You can also get Vitimin D from many other sources including fortified milk, orange juice, etc. Most Doctors seem to indicate stay out of the sun and get your Vitimin D from other sources. The media as usual puts out half the story.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/05 at 17:39 (175644)

John:
While genetics plays a role, one can also look at cultures that spend most of their workday in the sun and look at their cancer rates. Also keep in mind that our body produces Vitamin D3 specifically, which sometimes is and sometimes is not placed in food such as milk. The main ingredient our body uses to make Vitamin D is cholesterol so it would be interesting to measure cholesterol levels before and after ultraviolet exposure.
Ed