Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone had a ruptured plantar fascia??

Posted by Lindsay M on 5/21/05 at 23:57 (175451)

Hello..
I found out I had PF about 4 months ago. I've gone through the orthotics, and 2 rounds of injections (ouch)!! About 5 days ago while playing outside, I heard a loud snap followed by a terrible pain in my foot. From what I've found on here, I believe I've ruptured my PF. I haven't gone to my podiatrist yet, because I really don't think he's that great of a Dr. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, does it sound like thats what I've done? And also, what will they do for this? The pain is pretty well intolerable now, so I need to do something about it. Does anyone know if the ER would be able to help me, or would I have to see the Podiatrist??
Anyone help is greatly appreciated!!

Re: Anyone had a ruptured plantar fascia??

Ron on 5/22/05 at 15:28 (175481)

> I found out I had PF about 4 months ago. I've gone through the orthotics,
> and 2 rounds of injections (ouch)!!

Two rounds of cortisone injections?

Can anyone explain to me why so many people have problems after cortisone injections?

Lindsay M on 5/22/05 at 17:47 (175496)

Yeah two rounds of cortison injections. I've just found that they were extremely painful during the injection, and for about 3 days after. And all that for only a couple weeks of relief from the PF. If it's up to me, I will not have them again. Maybe that's just my experience. Anyone else had problems with these?

John H on 5/23/05 at 11:55 (175540)

Rupture plantar fascia is not that uncommon with pro football players. It does not happen a lot but the big linemen do have it happen. I do not know the recovery time but they do tend to come back and contnue to play at the NFL level. Doing something like pushing a car real hard could exert a lot of pressure on the fascia and lead to this if you had a weakened fascia. Down linemen weighing 300 lbs plus pushing as hard as they can against each other are the perfect candidates for this.

What I do not know is can a ruptured fascia be sewed back togehter??????

Kat C. on 5/25/05 at 23:33 (175745)

I had the same experience with cortisone shots. They are intended to be a temporary, short-term relief, with the intention of resting to let the plantar fascia heal. My pain relief lasted about 2 weeks, then returned full force. I had open fasciotomy 7 weeks ago; still have pain, significantly reduced tolerance to standing/walking/shopping, and use ice several times daily. At best, I expect to continue the same types of 'conservative' treatments for several months, maybe a year? Quite discouraged at this point.

Re: Anyone had a ruptured plantar fascia?? for Kat C.

Lindsay M on 5/29/05 at 09:12 (175871)

I saw the Pod last week, and I am scheduled for an open fasciotomy on June 7th. Just had a few questions about your experiences. How long were you on crutches, how bad and long was the pain?? Stuff like that. Thanks