Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

DR ED, hyaluronidase

Posted by mark g on 5/23/05 at 12:01 (175541)

dr ed, i have read all the posts on hyaluronidase. this is something i want to try. i don't want revision tarsal tunnel surgery. i have run out of drs and options. i want to try this. my pod has never used it or knows much about it. is it one injection one time? or a few injections and some more months later? i have scar tissue from peroneal tendon repair in the same ankle. can both areas be treated at the same time? and the mixture? with a steroid. can my pod contact you to get the specifics? i really appreciate your help! many thanx

Re: DR ED, hyaluronidase

messed up foot on 5/23/05 at 14:28 (175554)

Wow - someone else with peroneal tendon repair and TTS! I thought I was alone. Do you have pf too? TTS release in Feb.

I had the tendon repair Dec 2004 - and it still hurts when I walk. Not as bad as pre-op but it is still sore and a little stiff. How long before you really felt better?

My surgeon has sort of lost interest in my foot since there is nothing left to 'cut' (his word). The TTS numbness is worse now than pre-op and while I didn't have arch pain before, I do now. I can't wait to see the doctor's reponse to your question- maybe this is an option for me too!

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/23/05 at 22:37 (175583)

Hyaluronidase is fairly safe so it can be used in both places. Your podiatrist is welcome to contact me although a search online can bring up the information.

mark g on 5/24/05 at 00:07 (175602)

dr ed:
i have been searching. i have not found information online which answer my questions. you have spoken of this treatment for quite a while and get good results, so i would like to try your mixture. what is your contact info for my doc. thank you ~mark~

mark g on 5/24/05 at 00:36 (175604)

messed up foot: i have bilateral pf and possible tts in other foot also.
i'm still waiting for it to feel better. had revision peroneal tendon repair in dec 04. first was feb 03 same time as tt surgery. am worse than before first surgery(tts and tendon). drs say this is as good as it gets.. ofcourse they'll gladly slice me open again. they want to redo the tarsal tunnel. since last peroneal tendon repair, can't fully weight it. is still unstable and have limited range of motion. i suggest doing lots of range of motion exercises with therabands and calf strenghtening. and using a dyna disc to strengthen your foot and ankle for stability. and lots of swimming and spinning on the bike. swimming and biking are the least painful. i'm not doing very well but if not for these exercises i would be much worse off. and would probably have lost my mind. i am definitely giving this injection a try. no more cutting and no more drugs. good luck ~mark~

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/24/05 at 17:56 (175650)

He can email me at (email removed)

messed up foot on 5/24/05 at 20:41 (175666)

I have worked hard and have nearly 100% range of motion and maybe 80% strength - but the tendon side is so stiff feeling and the tts/pf side of my ankle is both numb and sore. I never really had heel pain (I had numbness instead) but the arch pain now keeps me from sleeping very well and the numbness is worse. Nevermind keeping the night splint on all night. Who invented those things? Marquis de Sade? Do you find that you have more symptoms in a shoe? I swear that my first 3 toes go numb the minute I put on a shoe. I suspect that the side of shoe (any shoe) puts pressure on the nerve. With numbness, you don't really feel pressure and I am careful about the type of shoes that I wear (SAS only). The last time that I saw my surgeon, he made me feel like I was nuts because I said that I'm not better.

How's your other foot?

Terry D. on 5/25/05 at 11:00 (175699)

Dr. Ed,
Does the injection have to be directly into the scar tissue or can it be the Dr's best guess as to where the scar tissue is.....also do you think it can disolve scar tissue that is two years old.
Thanks so very much. You are a tremendous asset.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/25/05 at 23:08 (175741)

Thank you. If the scar is old and very dense, addition of a small amount of a steroid like tiramcinolone acetonide may be needed to allow the hyalurondiase to penetrate. Yes, the injection needs to penetrate and the fulid spread throughout the scar tissue in order to work.