Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

diagnosing a stump neuroma

Posted by Wendy J on 5/23/05 at 13:28 (175550)

What can be done to confirm a stump neuroma? I have had the surgery a few years ago, and now, the pain is worse than ever, and my other foot is developing a neuroma also. I was diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma in my left foot 4 years ago, had it removed after trying therapy and medication. It was great for a couple of years, then this past winter, it has flared up big time, it makes it hard to walk barefoot, and most shoes aren't comfy. The pain and numbness has spread to mor toes, and I have shooting pains in my big toe and other parts of the foot. My family doctor just tells me that this is part of life after a neuroma removal. I say, NO WAY.. something needs to be done or I will be in a wheelchair and I am only 48 years young
!! I do need to loose some weight, and go walking, but it's a catch 22, walk, and have pain, don't walk, and the weight won't come off! Suggestionswould be appreciated. I have been reading a few other articles suggesting a more drastic surgery on the bottom of the foot, but I am very leary of it. Thanks, Wendy Jones

Re: diagnosing a stump neuroma

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/23/05 at 22:47 (175586)

Stump neuromas can occur by themselves or because the neuroma was not resected far back enough. Often, doctors feel that if one goes back in, a plantar (bottom of the foot) approach should be used in order to find the stump but also to trace it back far enough so it does not recur.

Re: diagnosing a stump neuroma

Mariann C. on 8/21/05 at 07:15 (180897)

Wendy, can you please tell me where you are with research. I had surgury 5 years ago for a ganglion cyst. Had a couple good years then had surgury for a neuroma in Dec. 04. I still had a ton of pain and my podiatrist couldn't figure it out. That toe then became a hammertoe so when he went to correct that he dug around a little and found that a nerve ending got tangled in some scar tissue from my original surgery and somehow connected to my joint. That was corrected although now I have a very ugly DEAD toe. Now I am in some very intense pain and I'm thinking it's a stump neuroma. I have made an appt with a neurologist. I am completely overwhelmed because I can't exercise, its a catch 22. I just want help and after doing some research I'm thinking I may never be pain free at least if I want to continue to walk for exercise. Am I going in the right direction with a neurologist?? Thanks