Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How can i get Plantar Fasciitis if i'm not overweight and if i have flexible calf muscles?

Posted by David_Cho on 5/23/05 at 22:35 (175582)

hi,

i recently visited my GP and was told that i might have plantar facsiitis. i have been having heel pains in the mornings for close to one year now, but ignorantly, i just thought that that was just part of growing old. i'm 36 yrs old now. i did not do anything about the heel pains in the mornings coz they went away after a short while. 3 days ago, the pain was so bad on my heel that i could not stand on it. thats when i went to the doctor and thats when she said i might have plantar fasciitis. she could not tell me WHY i got it though.

i've read thru the articles on this website and i still cant figure out why i got it. i'm a skinny guy, 62kg at 1.74m height, so i'm actually underweight. i lead an active lifestyle, i like sports alot and exercise at least 3 times per week. i have flexible calf muscles, i can bend my foot about 27deg ( according to the test reccemended by Scott's Book on Plantar Fasciitis, Heel Spurs, and Heel Pain ).

So, how can i get plantar fasciitis?

the only thing i can think of is my flat feet, my left foot is flat and thats where the pain is. my right food is less flat than my left, but its still considered abit flat. can the flat feet be causing my plantar fasciitis?

i have not experienced a real increase in my physical activites, its been the same the last couple years ( i like soccer, basketball , tennis and rock climbing ) , so i dont think a sudden upsurge in my exercise routine is the cause.

can someone suggest something ? thanks.

in the mean time, i have ordered some custom inserts to provide more arch support for my left flat foot, but thats coming in a weeks time only. in the mean time, i'm just confused....

thanks...

david.

Re: How can i get Plantar Fasciitis if i'm not overweight and if i have flexible calf muscles?

Ed Davis. DPM on 5/24/05 at 10:08 (175617)

David:
You may have answered your own question. You mentioned that your foot was flat. There is a difference between flat feet and overpronated feet but not many family docs understand that. An overpronated foot flattens because it rolls in too much straining the fascia.
Ed

Re: How can i get Plantar Fasciitis if i'm not overweight and if i have flexible calf muscles?

David_Cho on 5/24/05 at 12:52 (175631)

wow, looks like i'l have to go read up the difference between flat feet and overpronated feet. thanks.

so, just to conclude:

- flat feet will not cause plantar fasciitis
- overpronated feet WILL cause plantar fasciitis
- i probably have overpronated feet then.

did i get it right?

many thanks....

david.

john king on 5/24/05 at 15:22 (175637)

I was about 165 lbs and 6 feet when I got PF for the first time. I was doing a lot of standing and walking being a postal worker. I know very overweight people who don't have PF. I don't know why some of us get it and some don't. Orthotics can help.

Ron on 5/27/05 at 20:53 (175831)

> so, just to conclude:

> - flat feet will not cause plantar fasciitis
> - overpronated feet WILL cause plantar fasciitis
> - i probably have overpronated feet then.

It does not appear is if you are correct here. I think you have both flat feet and overpronated if, if they aren't one in the same.

I have an epiphany here, almost. :->. I was diagnosed with overpronated feet, by both a doctor and a PT. I had no idea I had flat feet, because I can see a ridge going on the inside of both feet. Maybe when I step is when it flattens out. Huh, I always thought I had high-arches. I guess I know nothin'. :)

Here is an article on foot problems by a Canadian DPM, Lloyd Nesbitt at http://www.lloydnesbitt.com/ . His article that he wrote can be found here:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:hWybumcBe4QJ:www.sportsci.org/encyc/drafts/Orthoses.doc+overpronated+feet+%22plantar+fascia%22&hl=en&start=1 OR here:
http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/drafts/Orthoses.doc

Ron on 5/27/05 at 21:10 (175832)

I see I was wrong. Flat feet and overpronated feet aren't one in the same, according to Ed Davis in this thread. What confused me was my Pod told me I had overpronation of the feet, and so do a PT. The PT also told me I had flat feet. That's what confused me.

I don't know why neither one of them recommended orthotics to me. My Pod prescribed only stretching and heel pads, and my PT recommended the same stretches plus strengthening excercises.