Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Kathy G, RE: window tinting

Posted by Necee on 5/23/05 at 23:23 (175598)

Kathy, putting that film on your windows is a great idea. Before they started using Low E windows here in Texas, we put that tint on our cabin windows, it's great! You know you can put that on yourself, and save lots of money, we did, its easy to apply. Go to your local hardware store, we got ours at Home Depot. The tint comes in a long roll, make sure your windows are clean, and apply with soapy water, use a squeegie (sp?) to get any bubbles out, and your all done. After we applied ours, we could really tell the difference, it's amazing how it reflects the heat....which reminds me, I believe there are 2 kinds of tint, the type that only reflects the UV rays, which is what causes things to fade, or the type that reflects the heat. It will have the info on the box and give a rating of how effective it is.
In our area you can also install solar screens, they are put on the outside just like a window screen, but they reflect the heat.

Necee

Re: To Kathy G, RE: window tinting

Bob G. on 5/24/05 at 00:12 (175603)

Necee is right - it's a great idea. Her directions are right on. From experience I can tell you it's best to apply early in the day before it gets hot.

Kathy G on 5/24/05 at 13:15 (175632)

Interesting, Necee. I didn't even know you could 'do it yourself' until Ed mentioned it. I could do it any day in the next five or so because NE is suffering from a lack of sunshine so it would be, as Bob says, when the windows are not in the sun.

I'll go down to Home Depot later today and check it out. It would be great not to have to pay so much for it and it's not like the inside of the storm windows will be touched. We have central air and a whole house fan so I keep them down all year round.

Can you wash them once it's applied? Or do they stay in the same condition as when you apply the film?

Thank you so much!

Bob G. on 5/24/05 at 23:44 (175673)

Hi Kathy,

You may wash them, no big deal. Just follow directions, think it through before you begin, obviously.

I did window tinting back in the 70's. Dba, Koolshade Window Tinting. Hated it. Business was good in the Summer; times I was up on a ladder applying new window tinting (in the sun, sweating). Then in the Winter, nobody wanted window tinting. So my career as a window tinter lasted just one year, but fortunately I graduated the same year.

Good luck with your project. Hope all goes well.

Necee on 5/24/05 at 23:56 (175674)

Yes, Kathy you can wash the windows once the tint is applied, but....you do have to be careful as to what you wash them with. For the tint we used, only mild soapy water was recommended, I don't believe you can use anything like Windex, etc.
Just read the directions on the box, and have everything you need there and ready before you start. You will also need a sharp straight edge razor to cut the window tint with. The most important things to remember when applying the stuff is to make sure the window is very clean before you start, and get all the air bubbles out when you put it on.
Let me know how it goes.

Necee

vince on 5/25/05 at 09:27 (175689)

I have applied a lot of window tint material. Have a good supply of single edge razor blades on hand and lint free towels. Wet the window, use what the mfg suggests or water with a TINY amount of dish wash detergent, and go over evey inch with a razor blade to removce anything on the glass. You want to get the window so clean that water runs off in a sheet without breaking. A good quality squeege will let you get out all the air bubbles without scratching the tint material. Trim the excess material by holding a wide blade spackle knife against the window frame and cut with a fresh blade just like trimming wallpaper. Don't be stingy with he blades as you will be cutting only with the very corner and they will dull quickly. Trapped air bubbles that are hard to remove means that the window wasn't wet enough. A very clean window will hold a sheet of water enough to get the job done easily.

John H on 5/25/05 at 09:59 (175695)

Kathy: I had an office in Houston that had a large tinted window. Over time the tint started to peel away or developed wrinkles. It looked perfect when it went on but looked bad as time went on. Be careful here. I would do a test window and watch it for a year before I committed to the entire home. Repeated window cleanings I would think would take its toll.

Necee on 5/25/05 at 11:24 (175701)

Kathy, I've had window tint on my cabin windows for over 7 yrs now, and there's no sign whatsoever of peeling or flaking off.
John, maybe that tint wasn't applied correctly to begin with.

Necee

Kathy G on 5/26/05 at 13:48 (175770)

I knew this was the place to come! Thanks for all the information, folks.
Great instructions, Bob and Vince. Now all I have to do is convince my husband he should try it. He's a bit skeptical but he's great at wallpapering and it sounds pretty similar.

I still have to go to Home Depot and check out the product. Tuesday it rained so hard, I just stayed home and yesterday my sister and I went to the Mall. We had such a good time! Of course, they may never let us back into the Bath and Body Shop. I was looking for particular scent and kept dropping bottles. We got laughing so hard the whole store was looking at us. In a loud voice, my sister said, 'I don't know this woman; I just found her wandering around the mall!'

So today, I'll make sure I behave myself in Home Depot. Speaking of which, after calling me and telling me they'd pay the plumbing bill on my hot water heater fiasco, I just got the check last week. They gave me every song and dance in the book, including 'The check's in the mail' cliche. It wasn't until some customer service manager called me and then called them that they magically produced a check for me. It took them nearly six months.

In the meantime, I've bought a washer and two dryers. My son had to buy a hotwater heater for his new house. No surprise that none of them came from Home Depot.

Thanks to you all and I'll let you know what we decide to do!

Re: To Kathy G, RE: son's hot water heater

vince on 5/26/05 at 18:04 (175788)

I'm curious Kathy- why does your son want to heat hot water with a hot water heater?

Re: To Kathy G, RE: son's hot water heater

Necee on 5/26/05 at 22:42 (175800)

You're funny Vince....my hubby says the same thing. Most people do call them 'hot' water heaters, when technically they are simply......water heaters.

Necee

Bob G. on 5/27/05 at 00:48 (175802)

Gee, if you husband is good at wallpapering, he's a shoe-in for window tinting. Be sure to take pictures of the exercise - you'll be glad :)

Kathy G on 5/27/05 at 17:30 (175815)

Vince,

You got me! I always call it the hotwater heater; never even thought of it. I also used to say I was going to 'unthaw' something for supper, as did my mother before me. At least I've corrected that one! :)

john h on 5/27/05 at 19:45 (175822)

In the old days people would ask 'do you have a temperature' when you were ill. You better have or you were a dead man walking.

vince on 5/29/05 at 06:23 (175869)

When I was a smart mouth kid my Mom used to say to me 'Close the window it's cold outside' and I'de reply ' If I close the window would it be warm outside' and that was usually good enough for a smack in the head.

Kathy G on 5/29/05 at 08:56 (175870)

So you've had years of experience at being a wiseguy, Vince? :D

vince on 5/29/05 at 09:48 (175874)

I'll be a wiseguy till the very end and all the wacks in the head my mother gave me only made me tougher. But, I'll be totaly honest forever so if you are wearing a purple shirt,orange tie, green pants and 2 different shoes don't ask me 'How do I look?' unless you want to hear that you look like a fool.