Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Will I be able to run again??????????

Posted by Stev on 5/24/05 at 19:23 (175660)

I understand every case is different, but I hear so many conflicting, confusing, and discouraging stories and cautions. So I am very concerned that this PF is going to prevent me from running (Triathlete). So what is the prognosis for a 35 year old suffering for the first time with PF. I have laid off running for 2 weeks and can definately feel the improvement. But from the info. I read I don't no when or if I should test it out and run?????????????????????????????????????????

Re: Will I be able to run again??????????

Ron on 5/24/05 at 20:06 (175662)

This is the hardest question to answer. Most likely you'll be able to run again and perform just like you did before.

If I were you, I'd start looking at your PF like you look at training. First, make sure you have PF and not something else. Second, understand it from the ground up and what your alternatives are. Know it like a doctor would. Third, scientifically treat it like this were the marathon before the marathon. Write down what treatments interest you and what you have tried, how long you tried each, what each one did for you, and try to rate your improvement objectively as much as you can.

Your paradigm of health is much different than most. You need your feet to compete with much more stress than most people. Prepare the treatment in the same manner and I think you'll do well.

Don't rely on a doctor for everything. He can only do so much, unless you're wealthy enough to hire him to spend a great amount of time with you.

On a personal note, Active-Isolated Stretching (AIS) has been working for me these past few weeks. My legs are quite large naturally, and my calves have always caused me problems. The reason why I believe this stretching has helped me is because of my natural tighness in my legs. My legs resemble an athletes (maybe now a retired lifter's) and this is why I think that this technique might work well for the athletic type.

Stretching, as you may know, is one of the first things doctor's prescribe for PF. However, stretching ain't what it used to be. There have been advances. If you have done static stretches or ballistic stretching then try AIS for a time and see if it might help.

Good Luck!

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 5/24/05 at 20:20 (175663)

Stev, I think it's wonderful that you are a triathlete. You obviously do alot of conditioning but what is the overall state of your muscular system? Would you say that your muscles are pliable and you're flexible?? I've dealt with a few triathletes and many of them are very hard on their bodies. They train hard year after year without taking the necessary steps to remain healthy and maintain their longevity. So my suggestion to you is to make sure the muscles in your legs (gluteals, hamstrings, gastrocnemius, soleus) are well stretched and flexible. If these muscles are tight they can cause disruption of the kinetic chain as you run and the result may be a plantar fascitis.

Ron on 5/24/05 at 20:39 (175665)

This might be my problem. I'm not an athlete but I used to be. My legs have always been extraordinarly large and with that has come tightness. Every time I ran my calves would burn because of the tightness. My solution should be similar to that of an athletes.

Besides stretching, is there anything else that an athlete could do that might apply to someone who has always been super-tight in their lower extremeties.

This may be also why I've has lower back pain my entire life as well.

Steve on 5/30/05 at 18:16 (175905)

Thanks for your comments you sound very knowledgeable on the topic. I am taking every bit of advice to heart. You obviously took some time to respond to my message. Thanks and all the best from B'ham.

Steve on 5/30/05 at 18:20 (175906)

Thanks for your comments as well. I am frustrated because fortunately I have been injury free for the most part and this PF has really benched me. I have definately improved, probably feel about 80%. I want to run but I sure do not want to take one step forward and two steps back because I begin to run to early. Thanks for your response.

Angie P. on 5/31/05 at 18:52 (175949)

HEy Steve,
I am also a triathlete and tennis player.
I've been sidelined off and on for two years. Sorry!
Anyway, I took about 6 months off of running and did cycling and EFX machine for the 6 months that I took off. After numerous visits to the orthopaedic, and trying every conservative method and also injections and casting, I had surgery. Doc also released the Tarsal tunnel nerve. Hopefully, this will do the trick. I've had to be laid back about the entire PF problem. As a runner for 25 years, it has definitly been a challenge to find other things that give me a half way decent work out and not hurt my foot.
Well good luck, hopefully you will be running before long.
Angie