Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT

Posted by J AND J on 5/25/05 at 00:28 (175675)

I HAVE PLANTAR FASCIITIS AND AM IN PAIN FOR OVER TWO YEARS OR MORE, THE LAST BEING THE WORST. I WORK ON CONCRETE ALL DAY AS A MOTOR MECHANIC WITH NO BREAK OTHER THAN HALF HR. LUNCH.

I HAVE HAD TWO SERIES OF CORTISONE SHOTS AND PHYSICAL THERAPY AND TAPING, AND HAVE ORTHODICS, NONE OF WHICH HAVE DONE MUCH TO RELIEVE THE PAIN. MY SECOND PODIATRIC OPINION WANTED TO DO MAJOR SURGERY AND ONLY CASUALLY MENTIONED ESWT.

TODAY I SAW A HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THIRD PODIATRIC SURGEON WHICH IS FROM MY GIRLFRIEND'S DENTIST. HE HAS SUGGESTED THAT MY WISH TO HAVE ESWT THERAPY AS A MORE CONSERVATIVE METHOD IS A GOOD IDEA AND HE HAS DONE OVER 40 PROCEDURES WITH A GREAT DEAL OF SUCCESS., BUT OF COURSE, NO GUARANTEES. HE SEEMED KNOWLEDGEABLE AND SPENT ONE HR. WITH US..

I AM WANTING TO KNOW FROM ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE THAT HAD THE PROCEDURE, DETAILS OF THEIR EXPERIENCES DURING AND AFTER AND THEIR RECOVERY AND PAIN FROM IT...I HAVE BEEN IN CONSTANT PAIN AND PLAN AT LEAST TWO WEEKS OFF WORK TO RECUPERATE.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Re: ESWT

vince on 5/25/05 at 06:41 (175678)

If your insurance covers ESWT or if you can afford to pay for it DO IT. It works significantly well- it's a no brainer in my opinion. You are going to get a lot of diverse info here- some are satisified some ar not. Don't let the nay sayers influence you- the docs here will tell you that if you fit the protocal then have it done. Look for a podiatrist @ http://www.unitedshockwave.com . Their techs have all done hundreds to thousands of these procedures and they operate in almost every state in the US.

Ralph on 5/25/05 at 07:48 (175681)

Here's my 2 cents. After reading this sites current post and many of the ones posted in the past I've concluded that every doctor using ESWT has seen 'some' success and 'no' success with ESWT. Most doing it report they have 'great' success with ESWT. The 'Great Success' part is what I doubt, because the word 'great' is a very subjective word. That's my take when doctors proclaim 'Great'.

That being said if I was facing surgery on my left foot and ESWT on my right and had the money I'd try the ESWT on my right first only because I, myself, would be willing to gamble the cost of the treatment against the complications that can be associated with the surgery. To me money can always be replaced but a botched foot surgery is there for life.

Surgery would be my last choice and it would be a very difficult one for me to make. I personally don't want anyone cutting on my feet.

Tina H on 5/25/05 at 12:01 (175705)

Try the ESWT first before letting anyone near your foot with a knife. My PF is almost gone after having ESWT last July. I can walk 5+ miles now with only minor foot fatique. Last year at this time I couldn't walk more than 1/4 of a mile. Good Luck! Tina

Dr Ben Pearl on 5/25/05 at 18:32 (175728)

I've layed out the fact that I have had my share of some succes and no success quite freely so this is no great deduction on your part.

Ralph on 5/25/05 at 22:23 (175734)

The deduction isn't important, but the liberal use of the words
'Great Success' is.

JJ on 5/30/05 at 17:45 (175902)

I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE ESWT SHORTLY FOR PLANTAR FACIITIS, WHAT CAN I EXPECT WITH PAIN AFTERWARD, I HAVE HAD A HIGH LEVEL OF PAIN ALREADY AND HAD CORTISONE SHOTS, TAPING, PT AND OTHER EXERCISE THERAPY THAT DID VERY LITTLE. I ALSO HAVE ORTHODICS THAT ARE VERY HARD AND HAVE HELPED JUST A BIT. I AM ON MY FEET FOR 12 HOURS OR MORE A DAY AND PLAN TO GET ON SHORT TERM DISABILITY FOR THREE WEEKS OR SO......

THANKS
JJ

JJ on 5/30/05 at 17:50 (175903)

TINA: THANKS SO MUCH, THIS IS ENCOURAGING, I am Joan writing for my boyfriend Jim....He plans to take about three weeks short term disability for recuperation...how was your aftermath recuperation and pain. He has been in agony with it and is on his feet at least 12 hours a day, and on concrete...with no breaks other than half hr. lunch....he is anxious to get some rest and feel better...Was the procedure painful?

thanks,
Joan and Jim

Ed on 5/30/05 at 20:19 (175909)

I had ESWT before having surgery and it was no help whatsoever.

Ed Davis. DPM on 6/05/05 at 22:31 (176173)

Ralph:
Ben is a doctor and we expect objectivity but one must allow some lattitiude for enthusiasm. ESWT, when apliied under the RIGHT circumstances has a very good success rate. Even more important than the success rate is the success to harm ratio. I simply have not seen a procedure in my 22 years of practice with a better help to harm ratio than ESWT. The first thing a physician learns is 'do no harm' so ESWT supports the prime directive of our philosophy. While, like nay other modality, ESWT has its failures, it has virtually zero downside.
Ed