Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can PF cause permenant damage ?

Posted by Terri on 5/25/05 at 19:18 (175731)

This may sound like a silly question but since my PF has not resolved in a year and I have tried the recommendations in Scott's heel pain book and had ESTW I'm just wonder if I could have sort of permenant damage from PF. Is that possible?
Thanks

Re: Can PF cause permenant damage ?

Ralph on 5/25/05 at 21:52 (175733)

Terri,
I don't know if you've ever used the search tab on this web site but if you have you'd find that you are no different than many others who have posted here before you.

I'd venture to say that most if not all of them were frustrated, tired of the pain and angry that a medical condition that doesn't show itself on the surface can take a triathlete and put them in a wheel chair, bench a football player and put a formerly happy mother of 4 into depression.

All of these and more stories are stored away in Scott's search tab. At times I use them to remind myself that many others have faced the same situation that you and I face today.

Your question 'Could I have some sort of Permenant damage?' is one that we've all asked ourselves especially those here that have posted they've had P.F. for several years.

When I first went to see a doctor he told me that P.F. usually lasts a mininum of 8 months, but I've learned from this site that it can last far longer than that.

I'm not a doctor, but when it comes to P.F. I think almost anything is possible from permenant damage to a wonderful cure, but I tend to think being cured is probably the norm of this condition. The reason I say this is because when you look at the stats. and studies about Plantar Fasciitis they say that it can and most often does go away on it own. It just doesn't say when.

If I was a betting person, I'd bet that your P.F. is following the same course as many others and that you haven't sustained any permenant foot damage unless you've had surgery for this condition. Surgery in itself can cause complications but unless surgery applies you haven't had any of them.

At this point I think you have several choices. 1. Continue faithfully with all the conservative treatments listed in Scotts book and never give up. 2. Repeat more ESWT to see if it helps you. 3. Seek pain relief through a pain clinic. 4. Try surgery.

If it were me, I'd continue all the conservative treatments faithfully and try and keep a positive attitude. If you haven't slept in night splints and did all the exercises, taping and other things suggested everyday for the past 365 days I say that you didn't give them your best shot. If you can honestly say that you did everything for 365 days then you may want to consider other options one being seeking help for your pain at a pain clinic prior to resorting to a surgical option.

Dr. Z on 5/25/05 at 23:14 (175743)

Terri,
Did you have an ultrasound performed on your feet ?

Ron on 5/26/05 at 19:51 (175792)

As far as I know PF doesn't cause permanent injury, in the sense that it can never be reversed (to some degree). However, the longer you have PF the harder it is to be treated, and to that degree some can and have become crippled by it. Their situation has become detrimental to their very well being, both physical and emotional. I must stress emphatically that this disease should never be taken lightly.

Very few of us will ever hear from those whose problem has been resolved quickly, and must rely on stories from those whose entire life has been enveloped by it. One of the most basic mistakes anyone can make is that their solution will be the solution for all; conversely, because someone else has been cured easily or with a certain method, that the same path will work for you.

Because of the great diversity of techniques in treating such a disease, it's inevitable that there will be those forces who wish to take advantage of you, like businesses wishing to sell their wares. Tread lightly, but make big strides in knowing what the masses think of a certain technique.

The best advice I can give to anyone, is for you to follow the science as best you know how, with intense investigation into what is best for *you*. How you're cured isn't half as important as being cured, but most importantly staying cured is just as important as feeling better. Set goals and give techniques time to see what works for you.