Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

chronic plantar fasciitis

Posted by Donna B on 5/26/05 at 23:17 (175801)

My 16 year old daughter has been treated for the last 17 months for chronic plantar fasciitis. the orginal injury occured in track. After months on crutches, in a cam boot, physical therapy and a cortisone injection things the doctor are considering a release or a tarsal tunnel surgery the Orthopedic Doctoer is against the release because of her age, but the release seems to be the easiest route for her. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIALTED!!!!! Mayo has even consulted with no help.

Re: chronic plantar fasciitis

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 5/27/05 at 08:35 (175806)

Hello Donna, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's condition. I agree with your Orthopedic Surgeon and I believe that surgery should be the last consideration. I specialize in soft tissue injuries and may I suggest that your daughter receive a form of soft tissue mobilization. If you read on here, you will find out more information on shock wave therapy that can be effective, but it is very pricey. Or you can look into other forms of soft tissue mobilization such as active release techniques or graston technique. I utilize these techniques when treating a plantar fascitis(fasciosis) and I'd say I have an 80% success rate. Many times the plantar fascitis(fasciosis) is being perpetuated by a biomechanical imbalance in the limb or lower back. It could be caused by faulty joint mechanics or a tight/weak muscles. You can go to http://www.activerelease.com to find a provider in your area. If there is any advice you need please don't hesitate to ask.

Dr. Rob

debbie j edworthy on 5/28/05 at 14:07 (175844)

i have suffered with fasciitis for 2 yrs wearing custom made orthotics by
the chiropodist. however to date i can't put any pressure on the heel and
walk on toes with heel in the air. either walk with crutch or cain. i am
allergic to cortisone which is the injection to put in the bottom of the heel. the only solution i have been given to date is physiotherapy (stretching) which i do several times per day already. if u have any suggestions of what other options may be available to me i would greatly appreciate your opinions. thank you
debbie edworthy in hamilton ontario canada
deb @ porchlight.ca

Ralph on 5/28/05 at 19:02 (175851)

Have you thought about having ESWT? There is a clinic called 'Pain Free' that I think is near Toronto that might be able to help you. Are you close to Toronto? If you do a search using the search tab there should be some more information on their location. Also check Scott's list of ESWT providers. You could find them listed there.

Also there is a Dr. Gordon near Toronto that uses the Ossatron machine.
The webmaster Scott and 9 others when there for treatment. They were some of the first people to get it I think. Dr. Gordon might also be on Scott's list or call phone information to see if you can get his phone number.

Ralph on 5/28/05 at 19:06 (175852)

I found these sits on Scott's list.

Location ID #6 . . .
Machine: SIEMENS Sonocur . . . Installed: July 1, 2003
several
PainFree ESWT Clinic
1263 Wilson Avenue, Suite 300
Toronto, Ontario, Canada . . . 1-866-444-3798 tollfree, or 905-569-0399 . . . (email removed)
Treatment for chronic Joint Tendonitis, Plantar Fasciitis and Peyronie's Disease using ESWT in combination with LIPT (low intensity photon treatment). In-line ultrasound on the equipment ensures localization of the pain area during treatment. Our treatment protocol is highly successful and we are committed to provide quality service at a reasonable cost. To our knowledge, we are the only clinic in North America providing ESWT treatment for Peyronie's Disease.
We are located in Toronto, Ontario (Canada), 30 minutes from Toronto International Airport. For further details please visit our website http://www.painfree-eswt.com ,
or send us an email:
For general information and questions about tendonitis and heelspur: info@painfree-eswt.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Location ID #8 . . .
Machine: SIEMENS Sonocur . . . Installed: November 1999
Grant Lum
Sonorex Therapy Center - Toronto
2401 Yonge Street, Suite LL10
Toronto, Ontario, Canada . . . Toll Free 1 (877) 766-6287 . . . info@sonorex.com
Sonocur therapy is a highly effective ESWT device that does NOT require the use of anesthesia. Success rates range from 75-90%.
For more information, visit: http://www.sonorex.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Location ID #13 . . .
Machine: HMT OssaTron . . . Installed: 11/10/98
Rob Gordon
Institute of Sports Medicine
185 The West Mall, Suite 110
Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada . . . 416-545-1166 . . . gordon@shockwavedoc.com
Near Toronto
Inexpensive FDA-approved OssaTron treatments.
See our website http://www.shockwavedoc.com

Ron on 5/29/05 at 13:26 (175877)

Since you've been subscribed stretching and you've streched with apparent little success, then maybe your technique isn't up to par. The normal technique to stretch your calf is standing against a wall with feet staggered, while leaning in while holding for 10 to 60 seconds.

Active Isolated Stretches will isolate that muscle, while only holding it for 2 seconds, before the myotatic (stretch) reflex kicks-in, while flexing the agonist (opposing) muscle to relax the antagonist (stretching) muscle. But I must warn you, isolating the muscle means contorting the body in weird positions to isolate one muscle from most others. Make sure you're up to a particular stretch before you get into it.

To give you an example, to stretch the lower calf you will sit on the floor, legs extending 10 inches apart. Pull the left leg toward the buttocks to a 90 degree angle, wrap hands around feet while heel only is touching the ground and pull, while concentrating which muscle group should be stretched.

It will take a bit to get used to but you'll feel a slight tug in the achillies tendon all the way to the bottom of the calf.

Make sure you're warmed up, breathe (muscles need oxygen), you only hold for less than two seconds, you make some effort to flex the agonist muscle (front shin -- this is hard for this stretch and some muscle groups work better), do from 5 to 12 reps, and you concentrate on what should be stretched. This last part can be the most difficult, but I've found it's what makes the difference between doing it right and getting it wrong.

You'll feel that your stretch can go further after each repetition, or, as in this case with the achillies and lower calf, a sore spot in some cases of PF (mine), you'll feel it going deeper and deeper.

I can get you started with a few stretches of the lower extremeties if you care to know. PF can be caused by many muscle groups, not just the plantar fascia. Otherwise, I wish you luck in any strategy you may choose in dealing with this. However, with the tippy toes syndrome (I had this when I was young) it appears your achillies and calf must be extraordinarily tight.