Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Vienna ESWT Conference

Posted by Dr Ben Pearl on 5/30/05 at 06:12 (175888)

Maybe Dr. Z or some other psters can share some of the proceedings of the Vienna scientific presentations.

Re: Vienna ESWT Conference

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/01/05 at 21:34 (176005)

Ben:
Dr. Z is going there so he will report back. Also, the abstracts of the meeting will be available on the http://www.ismst.com website in a few months.
Ed

Dr Ben Pearl on 6/02/05 at 07:26 (176015)

thanks. Ed

Dr. Z on 6/06/05 at 15:13 (176196)

Hi
I just gone back. I am kind of tired but will in the next few days give you a complete report. I will tell you one thing this is the finest groups of ESWT physicians and people that I have met in a very very long time. The goal of teaching and sharing is sooooooo open

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/05 at 19:52 (176215)

Dr. Z:
We are all looking forward to your report. The ISMST conference was in Hong Kong last year -- a bit too far. At least they cured Godzilla's plantar fasciitis via ESWT which is why he has not been stomping around Japan.
Ed

Re: Elliott vs. Godzilla

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/05 at 19:54 (176216)

Okay Elliott, lets see you try to tell Godzilla that ESWT does not work.;)
Ed

Re: whoops

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/05 at 19:55 (176217)

Whoops, I meant to post that one anonymously.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/06/05 at 20:05 (176218)

Dr. Z:
Did you make any side trips when there? I initally wanted to go but was determined to make a side trip to Prague since I am part Czech. My family insisted on coming along and could not see traveling to Vienna with 5 people and dragging them into the Czech Republic. My uncle visited his place of birth in Carpathia but much of that is part of the Ukraine now. The Ukranians could not figure out why he wanted to go to such a remote location and almost arrested him.
Ed

Dr Ben Pearl on 6/10/05 at 19:33 (176496)

I spoke to someone who went & there was one interesting application with avn of the talus.
I'm guessing this was an early stage avn series.

Dr. Z on 6/10/05 at 21:06 (176508)

Yes. There was alot of lower extremity OCD cases that were really interesting. Great study with tibial stress fractures. Great study for neuroma's. I was amazed at the studies with bone pathology and ESWT.
I will have to check to see what stage the Talus AVN was. I think it may have been more advanced Stage three. There were some stage three AVN for other bones

Ralph on 6/12/05 at 11:40 (176586)

Dr. Zuckerman,
Anything new specific about ESWT and Plantar Fasciitis. I think ESWT is being more readily accepted for use with various bone pathologies than
P.F.

Where can we find the new articles that were presented?

Dr. Z on 6/12/05 at 11:59 (176590)

Hi

One of the most important things that I saw was the comformation of my protocol for Insertional Achilles Tendonitis. There was a paper using my protocol in a double blind study that showed 85% good or excellent with one treatment at the six month end point.
The use of ESWT for Neuromas's showed an 80% sucess rate with one treatment with a very quick return to activity . The end point was 12 weeks. The 80% was at least 70% improvment with one treatment in 85% of the cases.
There is going to be a standard reporting protocol for ESWT treatments/studies so that there can be an apples to apple comparison. There is now one for tennis elbow written by Dr. Rompe.
Alot of good information with Bone surface disease and treatment with ESWT. This will help and avoid alot of joint replacements and surgery hopefully in the future.
The papers will be published on the their site in the near future. There is a new site that is now available Go take a look http://www.ismst.com/start.htm

Wound healing with ESWT is going to be a new field of treatment with chronic non-healing wounds.
I even met the FDA in Vienna. They are there to develop a uniform protocol for FDA approval. I couldn't get them to reduce the classification system to make it easier and cheaper to provide ESWT in the USA. For example. Dornier costs $110 Euro's and the same unit is %350,00 in the USA. This is due to FDA costs
All I can say if you are doing ESWT and don't join the ISMST and go to their yearly seminars you aren't at the ESWT cutting edge. Talking to other doctors in person about ESWT and their experiences is just so important to understand ESWT and improve the quality of delivery.
As I think of additional information I will continue to report. I have to catch up at the office.
I have been in practice for over 25 years and attended hundreds of seminars and have never experienced such a highly educationed, experienced and quality of medicine. These doctors are the pioneers and continue to contribute to learn and contribute .
I met alot of new friends and met alot of doctors that I have only communicated thru phone or e-mail.
I couldn't believe the work of Dr. Schaden with boney non-unions and wound healing. I brilliant man and at the same time one who wants to teach you all he has developed.
Dr. Rompe is someone that I am glad is part of this organization. He places reseach into a format of where validity of the treatment is can be proven.
The USA future of ESWT is in our hands. It is up to us to publish and prove what we do. This is the hardest part becauses studies aren't exactly daily day in and day treatment of patients with ESWT

Ralph on 6/12/05 at 16:40 (176611)

Any sightings of Dr. Burchbinder at the meeting????

Ralph on 6/12/05 at 16:51 (176612)

Dr. Zuckerman
It sounds like this might have been your first ISMST meeting. Was it?
What type of doctors present abstracts there and could you tell us a bit more about Dr. Schaden and his work. Are the meetings formal etc.

My brother had to undergo surgery about 5 years ago for his shoulder which wasn't healing following his original shoulder surgery. He wiped out on his Harley. Perhaps if ESWT had been available he could have avoided the second surgery. Needless to say he's back in his leathers again.

Dr. Z on 6/12/05 at 17:15 (176615)

I don't believe she is a member or ever visited any of the international conventions. All of the doctors I met were either orthopedic, podiatric, Sports Medicine physicians

Dee on 6/12/05 at 21:08 (176630)

Dr. Z.:

What does shock wave therapy do for neuromas?

Dr. Z on 6/13/05 at 08:37 (176648)

Dee,
It creates permenant numbness, lack of pain without cutting out the nerve. Very similiar to cyrotherapy except this is completely non-invasive

Ralph on 6/13/05 at 12:09 (176668)

How much numbness are you talking about. Only in the area of the neruoma or along the entire nerve route between the toes too?

From you brief post Dr. Zuckerman it sounds like a lot of the things discussed or presented at the conference were geared more toward orthopedic (bone) applications. Was there any thing new for P.F. usage brought to light?

jj on 6/14/05 at 09:24 (176751)

I AM GOING TO HAVE ESWT THE 21ST OF JUNE AND CONCERNED ABOUT THE PAIN DURING AND AFTER AND WHAT TO EXPECT. I AM TAKING SOME SHORT TERM DISABILITY FROM WORK. I HAVE HAD A LOT OF PAIN FOR A LONG TIME, ESPECIALLY THE LAST YEAR. I HAVE HAD CORTISONE INJECTIONS, PT....AND ICING AND STRETCHING EXERCISES ARE PART OF MY ROUTINE AS I AM ABLE. I WORK ON CONCRETE ALL DAY DOING MECHANICAL WORK WITH VERY LITTLE BREAK TIMES, ONLY A HALF HR. LUNCH.
WHAT IS THE HEALING PROCESS?
HOW MUCH PAIN CAN I EXPECT?
DOES MY BODY NEED EXTRA NUTRITION AT THIS TIME, AND WHAT FOODS WILL HELP ME RECOVER SOONER AND GET BACK TO WORK.
THANKS
JJ

Walkingirl on 6/15/05 at 17:55 (176891)

I am not a doctor. I have been documenting my experience with ESWT. I need to update since I haven't done it in almost a month. You will find it at 'Documenting My ESWT Beginning 04-28-05.' There are alot of experiences on this site to search.

My doc has prescribed Foltex which is a Vitamin B Complex of Folic Acid, B6 & B12. I think it helps. Also, I take Wobenzyme which are enzymes that act like anti-inflammortories, but are not harmful. Drink water, water, water for your muscles, etc. Also, I massage the arch, archilles, and calfs every day.

Post treatment you are not supposed to take anti-inflammatories for about 6 weeks so you may not want to use Wobenzyme during that period. Heat is good, and the stretches outlined on this site. Also, I took Tylenol post treatment as it does not have anti-inflammory properties. Slowly, slowly, slowly, I have been stretching the back of the leg all the way up to my hips. It's all connected. Be careful to not overstretch. Also, I wear New Balance tennis shoes all the time with custom orthotic inserts. My feet never touch the floor without shoes/orthotics.

I am at Week 7 post treatment. I have a desk job. I have rested my feet a lot during the 1st month. I have been walking more this last couple of weeks. Last week was wonderful. This week has been more pain. In fact for the 1st time since treatment the treated heel has had that ole time feeling...feels like a big pebble is in the heel spur area. However, I am expecting the up and downs. This is how EWSTS Post Treatment works for some people. Good then not so good until you start getting good days more and more. Hope this helps. Some days I just wanna cry; other days I have hope because there is no pain and I feel like I can take on the world.

Dr. Z on 6/15/05 at 18:08 (176895)

Glad to here you are doing so well. So if your pain level was a 10 what is it now. State your overall improve at this stage No improvement, slight improvement, dramatic improvement complete improve. Please pick one
thanks

Walkingirl on 6/20/05 at 14:42 (177105)

Overall improvement has been between Slight and Dramatic. At 7 1/2 weeks, I will say the pain level is a 6 from a 10 (probably depends on what kind of day I am having). The heel pain is still fluctuating. There has been a couple of days where there was absolutely no pain at all.

Today, for instance, I feel the insertion point where the faciitis meets the heel spur. It feels tight. If I press hard with my thumb, it feels like a little knot. The insertion point feels like It needs to be cut. I also have some pain from the inside lower ankle to right below the calf. The heel pain is minimal today (it is arch and insertion point pain & I usually don't have arch pain). At this point I still have hope, cutting is out of the question.