Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A lucky find that may help others

Posted by Steve on 5/30/05 at 11:08 (175894)

I have had PF for several years now.

I have had good luck with using powdered ginger and crystallized ginger as an antiinflammatory. I was able to get off of ibuprofen. I don't use it all of the time because it has a bit of stimulant like effect on me.

I have also been taking an omega3 supplement for a while. About a month ago I decided to triple the dose from 300mg ( one capsule ) to 900 mg ( 3 capsules ).

I found that my inflammation levels reduced tremendously.

Usually when I stretch my foot and calf that area tightens back up again very rapidly.

Now they stay loose longer. I am hoping I can exploit this to build up my flexibility in that area to promote healing.

Anyway, take it for what it is worth

Re: A lucky find that may help others

Leopold on 5/31/05 at 00:22 (175916)

Do you think it is both the ginger and omega3 which is helping the tightness to stay loose longer. If so where can I buy these products? I have the same problem where my foot and calf tighten back up very quickly after I stretch, maybe 3-4 hours later.

Thanks for the help,

Leopold

Susan on 5/31/05 at 11:04 (175926)

I just ordered fish oil pills from iherb.com a couple of weeks ago. I got 600 mg pills (EPA + DHA) and started with 1 a day, and now I'm taking 2 a day. At first I (pardon me) burped up fishmarket every 5 minutes but that went away in a few days. I got the 'pharmaceutical grade' type, which supposedly has any trace mercury etc. removed. I'm going to research going up to 3 a day. I've only been taking them for a week or so, so I don't know about effects yet.

Susan on 5/31/05 at 12:17 (175931)

This is info from the Dr. Weil website about an anti-inflammatory diet. Mentions the fish oil and the ginger among other things.

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA252779/

Re: A lucky find that may help others -- Question for Steve

Terry on 5/31/05 at 15:25 (175941)

Steve,
Do you apply the ginger topically? Or take it orally?

Ron on 6/04/05 at 20:27 (176142)

I'm not too sure what is the real difference between the more expensive type (pharmaceutical) and the other. The cheaper versions can be 20 times cheaper.

Omega 3 is an anti-inflammatory. That's why it can help PF. Like the effects of aspirin, I wouldn't count on it curing it.