Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS surgery recovery

Posted by Lorrie on 5/31/05 at 18:06 (175945)

I am having surgery for TTS, and I was wondering how long I would need help during my recovery. I have been told to stay 'down' for three weeks, but after that, will I be able to pretty much continue my normal life? Also, how much should I stay down? TTS has totally disrupted my life, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to give the surgery its best chance.
Thanks for any advice!

Re: TTS surgery recovery

messed up foot on 6/01/05 at 10:44 (175978)

I had 2 weeks of doing absolutely nothing but keeping my foot elevated. When you are told to keep it higher than your heart - DO IT! It helps so much in your recovery. I was back at work (from home) in 2 days and in the office at 2 weeks - plus I had partial plantar fasciectomy at the same time. I am just shy of 4 months post op and I can walk for 3 miles with primarily just discomfort from atrophied muscles and residual swelling. BUT don't assume that everything will be perfect after the surgery because your foot/ankle will never be perfect again. I'm at about 80% of what I could do before all of this stuff hit my foot. I'm starting physical therapy to get back closer to what I could do before. Orthopedist says that the muscles will come back on their own but it is faster with PT.

Andrea on 6/01/05 at 16:39 (175998)

I had TT surgery about 7 weeks ago. I agree! keep your foot elevated above your heart! very important. I also had 2 weeks of doing nothing. I went back to work, but couldn't drive (had friends helping out). I was on the boot and crutches for about 4 weeks. You just never know how much time you might need. It all depends on how your foot will react to the surgery.
I'm doing well now . I have very little pain (at the end of the day)and can be on my feet all day (wearing regular shoes). I have been able to walk for about 2 miles wihtout any problems.
Good Luck with everything!!

Lorrie N on 6/04/05 at 21:13 (176143)

Thank you (and Andrea) for your encouragement and excellent advice! I am now going into this with great anticipation - you really calmed my nerves. You know how it is, a person usually just hears the horror stories. I'll check in after the surgery.