Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Flare-up Caused by Sandals

Posted by Hazel on 5/31/05 at 18:58 (175950)

Hi there,

Between going for ART sessions twice a week for 5 weeks and wearing NB 925's and now the Brooks Beast, my PF (lateral side of heel) is (was) at a manageable pain level of 5.

This weekend, I decided to give my new Ecco sandals a walk around town (I bought them a month ago and only wore them in the store). After 2 hours of walking, with breaks, the old pain started coming back. The pain was a reminder of how bad things were 2 months ago. Since then, I've only worn the above mentioned shoes and went to an ART session today. I'm glad that my foot is getting better but a little bummed that sandals seem out of the question for the summer and that I'm stuck wearing only certain shoes.

Just relating a story here. I can't afford to spend more money on sandals. However, I will buy shoes that help over pronators like myself. Anyone else have flare-ups from wearing certain shoes? Did you give them up forever? I encourage anyone to try the above shoes. They really help to keep the part of my heel that hurts from banging around/pulling away from my foot and causing pain. I've had custom orthotics (2 pair) for over 7 years and I now believe that the shoe is more important than the orthotic.

Hazel

Re: Flare-up Caused by Sandals

Ralph on 5/31/05 at 19:12 (175951)

Hazel,
I don't wear an orthotic, however, I tape my feet as suggested in Scott's heel pain book. I live in my running shoes since developing P.F. Occassionally I use a dress shoe and seem to pay for it later in the day.
I learned that using a tennis ball and icing after wearing them helps to save my feet from a flare up. I've given up sandals for now.

Recently my lower back has been bothering me and I started taking Advil.
What is interesting about that is that when I take the Advil my P.F. get worse. The bottom of my arches swell and when I stop the Advil they go back to normal. I guess P.F. can react to anything new. This swelling I get with Advil is really strange. I've stopped taking it for my back.

John H on 6/01/05 at 09:38 (175972)

Hazel like orthotics if you have a sandal with an orthotic type footbed you might be better to gradually work into them. Wear them for a couple of hours a day until your feet become accustomed to them.

messed up foot on 6/01/05 at 11:23 (175980)

6 years ago when I was first diagnosed with pf - I was told by the podiatrist who prescribed orthotics to NEVER wear any kind of sandal or go barefoot. Lace up shoes only because sandal don't give the foot enough support. I too am a 'pronator'.

I don't like the styles but SAS shoes are worth the money in terms of comfort. This pod (no longer part of my insurance program) also said to avoid wearing shoes for too long - meaning watch the number of miles on them (like tires?). He said 6 months of heavy wear is the max. With the price of good shoes, this was hard advice to follow! However the consequence to not listening is TTS and other tendon damage and I am paying that price.

PS- now I listen and wear good shoes!