Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heeled?

Posted by JudyS on 5/31/05 at 21:58 (175962)

Well yes that's a little play on words but I've been waiting for a while now to share this - I'm prompted by an experience I had this weekend.

I've been going out walking three times a week for the last few months. I walk for just under an hour. I worked up to that from an initial twenty-five minutes. At first I was religious about icing and ibuprofen after as well as continuing to do several minutes of feet warm-ups before I get up.

For the last six weeks I've been working very, very hard at a family rental house to get it ready to sell. Our tenants moved out and it was left in a serious shambles. Consequently I've been on my feet for eight to ten hours a day. After a week of that it dawned on me that I was finishing my days with no sore feet.

Up to that point I knew I ould go for several hours ok as long as I was wearing my trusty Josef Seibel clogs. I could never do several hours in my athletic shoes with or without inserts.

Suddenly one day I realized that I had done just that - a ten-hour day on my feet in athletic shoes! I was very surprised.

What happened this weekend was the convincer; we went to Las Vegas for a long, baseball-tournament weekend. As usual if I'm not playing I'm the official scorekeeper for my husband's tournament team. Yesterday, because of the arrangement of the dugout to the field, I had to stand to see the game properly to keep the book. I stood for three hours in my athletic shoes. I fully expected to have to take sitting breaks but found that I never did. My feet didn't yell at me like they usually do when I'm standing in one spot in athletic shoes.

I'm fairly certain that my walking is slowly making my lower legs stronger and that in turn is taking some of the heat off my feet. I discovered that last year when I was doing more weight training.

Anyway, I'm actually beginning to understand that I'm living longer days on my feet. I take it for granted until I realize just what exactly is happening. They definately do still get sore, generally, but there is very little of the original PF pain. And when I do feel it I ......sit down!

No hikes yet, no running yet. hmmmmmmmmm..........

Re: Heeled?

Suzanne D. on 5/31/05 at 22:35 (175963)

Good for you, Judy! How wonderful.

Thanks for posting this success story. I am thrilled for you and know that it will also give hope to many who feel right now that there will be no end to their foot misery.

It seems that one must work at finding and continuing that personal,'just-right' combination of proper footwear, stretching, strengthening, and resting.

I've had a sinus infection for the past week, and earlier last week I took pain-relievers. I was struck once again how much better my feet felt while taking the Tylenol or Advil. They don't really hurt on a daily basis, but they are stiff and get tired and generally sore. With the pain-relievers, they felt like pre-PF days!

Hopefully, we'll all get to the point where you find yourself now, Judy.

Glad to read the good news,
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/31/05 at 23:22 (175964)

What wonderful news, Judy! Congratulations and I'm glad your feet are improving so much. :)

I'm sure that your awareness of what is going on with your feet, and your observations, are helping this to happen.

Carole C

Bob G. on 6/01/05 at 00:36 (175965)

Summer is a good time for healing and great gains. Prayers are for your continuing success; hope you can again enjoy hiking and eventually base stealing. btw, your Padres are causing me, my Dodgers, and my SF friends a lot of PAIN!

Necee on 6/01/05 at 01:15 (175967)

That sure is great news Judy, hope you continue to be 'heeled'.

Happy trails...

Necee

John H on 6/01/05 at 09:44 (175974)

Bob G: My Cubs caused your Dodgers a lot of pain last night and yesterday. One hit in 10 innings. Going for the sweeep tonight and then down to Judy's town to see the Padres.

John H on 6/01/05 at 09:46 (175975)

Sounds great to me Judy. Remember to slide into 2nd head first and not feet first.

marie on 6/01/05 at 21:59 (176009)

Now thats good news and I hope those in pain are reading this. It takes a very long time to heal but when you aren't looking you may find yourself feeling pretty good.

JudyS on 6/01/05 at 23:28 (176011)

MY Padres? Oh yeah.......them! They broke a record last night by winning their eleventh straight home game.

And my son was on TV as he was sitting adjacent to first base! Cool!

Kathy G on 6/02/05 at 09:07 (176034)

What great news, Judy! No orthotics in the running shoes either? Way to go! Here's hoping that PF rears its ugly head never again. It certainly gives the rest of us hope.

Your son must have been thrilled to have such great seats. My daughter's Christmas present to the family was four tickets to see the Red Sox play the Orioles on Tuesday night. It was also my husband's birthday. My daughter, my son, her uncle and my husband went to the game and had pretty good seats to see the Red Sox win. She didn't include me because a few years ago I finally officially declared that I that, unlike the rest of my family, I don't like baseball and I was going to no more game. I used to go to the games just to be a good sport. (I'm still a nice person, Judy, don't give up on me!) I get so bored at baseball games and I have never gone to Fenway Park without ending up with a terrible sinus headache. When I was in college, I went out with a guy who lived and breathed baseball and I went to so many games. All I can remember is the headaches! So, I was quite content to sit at home and they all enjoyed the game.

Hope your feet continue 'heeling' and hope you rent that house soon!

Kathy G on 6/02/05 at 09:09 (176035)

Why, when I make corrections to a sentence, don't I read it over more carefully? You get my drift! :)

JudyS on 6/02/05 at 20:34 (176059)

Oh yes Kathy - I'm devoted to my orthotics! I use them in my athletic shoes and my cleats. The only other shoes I wear are Josef Seibel clogs - I've literally been wearing the same pair for six years! Well, at least around the house!

I can even get away with flip-flops now and then.....imagine that!

JudyS on 6/02/05 at 20:35 (176060)

John dear, are you saying my head is more expendable than my feet? :)

John H on 6/03/05 at 09:32 (176072)

I was searching for you at the Cubs-Padres games last night at Petco when they did the fan cam. No Judy in sight. The Cubs extended the Padres losing streak to 2 games while the Cubs extended their winning streak to 7 games (ouch). Three more games with your Padres starting tonight. Lot of Cub fans out there watching that game in the stadium.