Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

JSB Orthotics Inc

Posted by john king on 6/01/05 at 14:51 (175989)

I have orthotics made by JSB Orthotics Inc. Are these top of the line as my Pod says they are?

Re: JSB Orthotics Inc

Richard, C.Ped on 6/02/05 at 07:59 (176022)

No.

Dee on 6/02/05 at 08:20 (176028)

Richard:

Thanks for that honest response. So how's an unsuspecting patient to know? What would you say are the top 5 labs?

Thank you.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/02/05 at 12:59 (176045)

I am going to get jumped on for this, but I do not believe in using a lab. We make our own here and if any adjustments are needed (very rare) we do it on the spot. I do not believe someone with foot pain should wait 1-3 weeks to get their orthosis. It comes down to product quality and personal service.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/04/05 at 12:05 (176116)

Richard:
The need for adjustments can be related to what we are treating. Often we make orthotics for postural problems causing back and knee problems and find those orthotics either need less tweaking or more tweaking than for the average foot problem.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 6/06/05 at 08:26 (176180)

Perhaps, but I can not understand why most peopel have problems with their orthosis. I take that back. I can understand when I see what people have paid hundreds of dollars for, and it is pretty much junk.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/07/05 at 16:52 (176254)

Richard:
That is why I keep asking for some 'self-policing' organization that ethical practitioners can join that the public knows they will get a quality procduct when they go to a member of such an organization.
Ed

Richard, C. Ped on 6/08/05 at 08:19 (176315)

I am for the same thing...the only problem is, regulating how someone, casts makes an orthosis. At our office, we challenge ourselves by changing our fabrication techniques often to make the product even better.

Pharmacists are regluated by certain rules for dispensing medications as well as aseptic technique by JACHO. I am all for licencing c.Peds, but those who started in shoe repair years ago, do not want to pursue their education any further than they have to (from those I have spoken with).

Some states are starting to licence pedorthists, but it is very expensive and it really does not mean anything right now. You can also have your facility accredited, but again, it is also very expensive and really does not bear any weight as far as respect goes.

what I may think is crap, someone else may think is acceptable. Perhaps you and I could head up the regulation committee. ;-)

john king on 6/08/05 at 09:27 (176319)

I got some orthotics from the veterans administration. They were cheap junk and I tossed them in the closet. The VA finds the cheapest vendor and goes from there.

Karen on 6/08/05 at 13:11 (176330)

John
I am looking for a Pedorthic guy, and JBS is closest to where I live. I gather you are not happy with the lab? Did you meet with Scott Becker? Are the orthotics helping?

john king on 6/10/05 at 07:59 (176439)

Karen

The JBS orthotics are pretty good but my feet are pretty bad. The orthotics do help. Without them I would really be out of action. I have a high arch and that does not help.

Mike on 6/20/05 at 10:20 (177086)

Ed,
Try pfola.org

If labs are so bad why are there so many of them.

Jeff R. on 8/06/09 at 23:25 (259463)

I'm in Miami and must admit that 'I have orthotics like Imelda Marcos has shoes'---I own LOTS of them and most are very well made & well suited to my feet. While the JSB's took a bit of getting used to (I first thought they were possibly a bit too extreme for my very flat feet), the JSB's soon became my favorite 'dress shoe' orthotics. They actually are perfectly supportive and are at the same time rather 'sleek'--a few of my others are so thick that they lift me so high up in many types of dress shoes such that many shoes can't even be worn, even with the shoe's insoles removed. Finally, as a rather overweight person, I can attest that the JSB's are very long wearing and show practically no signs of wear.