Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cryosurgery anyone?

Posted by Mar on 6/02/05 at 07:09 (176014)

I had cryosurgery 12 days ago and would like to compare my experience with anyone else out here who has had it. So far, my experience is not the normal positive one that my doctor says is the usual. Last week I was at a 10 pain level and could barely shuffle to the bathroom. This week I am at an 8.5 level or so, using the scooter and only walking around the house. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and still got cured, or at least back to where they were before the cryo. Mar

Re: Cryosurgery anyone?

Terri on 6/02/05 at 07:53 (176018)

I haven't had it but was wondering about it. Before you had it did you have soreness/pain in one particular area or did it move around from your heel to arch? I hope you feel better soon.

Mar on 6/02/05 at 07:58 (176021)

I had the pain all across in front of the heel - from insertion point of fascia across. I was treated in 4 places on each foot. Mar

Terri on 6/02/05 at 08:04 (176024)

Okay, so I guess the foot would be pretty sore from that. Maybe it's really sore from the procedure itself. I read an article about a doctor at Wayne State University in MI that has been doing it for 3 years. It sounded less scary than an PF Release which I am considering. I hope someone on here has some ideas.

Mar on 6/02/05 at 08:10 (176026)

Yes, it is definitely safer than the PF release I think, and has a higher success rate. I am hoping that my pain is from the procedure only. The ironic part is that most people start to feel better immediately after the cryo and I felt 100 times worse! The guy next to me was about 350 lbs and felt better in a few days - was able to stand at a party for 4 hours!! I'm 112 lbs and can't walk -- go figure! Mar

Cyndi on 6/06/05 at 09:33 (176184)

I had Cryo-Surgery on my left foot MAY 2004. It was for atypical planter Facitisis and I have had pain ever since. I have pain in both feet but , just the left had the surgery. I am wondering how long it takes for the nerves to re-generate, it they will? I have not been able to work since last Feb 2004. Just downhill all the way. Now, I am taking 2400mg of Neurotin and 175mg of EffexorXR for this, plus other RX for other ailmenets. It is very hard for me to stand much longer than to unload the dishwasher.
I even have Graves Disease/hyperthyroid too.
Diagonased 4/2005
Any help here? Thanks, Cyndi :-)

Dr. Z on 6/07/05 at 03:33 (176227)

I have been told if the pain isn't gone in two weeks, it is either second treatment or that's the results. What were you told

Mar on 6/07/05 at 07:06 (176231)

I was told that most people who are going to get better begin to get better during the first week and that it can take up to 5-6 weeks I think. At this point, I just hope I at least get back to where I was before the surgery. I cannot imagine going through this again, at least not now. I see the doc on Thursday. Mar

Mar on 6/07/05 at 07:09 (176232)

Cyndi -

I think the nerves regenerate in a few months. Did you ever have any pain reduction from the cryo? Did you have worse pain after the surgery than before? Is it worse now than before? I don;t take any drugs for the pain, as my stomach can't tolerate them. I use an electric scooter to stay off my feet as much as possible. Mar

Cyndi on 6/07/05 at 18:10 (176273)

Mar,

I don't know if the nerve has regenerated or not. I had more pain concerning shooting nerve pain is why I saw A Neurologist and he gave me Neurotin in Sept after the cryo-surgery in May 2004.
It was bruised for several weeks and I started to use a cane for relief on that foot. It never really helped and even with that, I fell in Dec 2004 and was in a wheelchair and walker.
But, I have not been to many things I used to go to that required walking in a couple of years.
I would NOT have the surgery again if it were free. Matter of fact, I fired that DR for other reasons.
I hope your foot heals better and helps you in the end.
Gosh, I sure wish it had healed in a couple of weeks.

MOJO MAr,

Cyndi:-)

Cyndi on 6/07/05 at 18:18 (176274)

Mar,

The electric scotter is a wonderful idea, AT least you can get around.
Did you have much bruising? Matter if fact, I woke up this AM with my foot hurting and have used a Tens Device alot today. It returns when I take it off.

I also used foot baths in a DR Scholl's water bath, IT feels so good. I find myself rubbing the bottoms of my feet together all the time. I also use a tennis ball, frozen drink bottles to roll my feet on and pick up marbles with my toes. I learned some exercises in Physical therapy till my DR told me ONLY water therapy to lose weight. NO standing for long periods of time, just impossible,
Wishing you good thoughts,
Cyndi :-)

Mar on 6/08/05 at 07:53 (176313)

Cyndi -

Yes, I had a lot of bruising, most of which is gone now -- just a little puffiness at the incision area, but still a lot of soreness at the treatment spots. I see the doctor tomorrow. Good luck to you and why not investigate a scooter so you can get back into some of the activities that you aren;t able to do. Thanks foryour good wishes - Mar

Cyndi on 6/09/05 at 10:09 (176389)

Good Luck Mar!

I hope all goes well for you, I hope I am the exception.

Scooter is a thought, but, my job was standing in retail. NOw, I am trying to see how long I can stand to see if I may get back to my job, since I got the new clogs.
As you can see from my typing, I can't do office work

I also am trying to get better from Thyroid/Graves condition new.

I would love to go stroll thru the Gardens and walk my Dogs again.
Cyndi :-)