Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Which of AIS Techniques for pf?

Posted by Leopold on 6/04/05 at 13:59 (176121)

I would like to know what stretches are good to do for PF of the AIS Techniques? Ron, if you read this can you direct me to the right stretches to do? It sounds like you are on to something with the AIS techniques and I would like to try it.

Re: Which of AIS Techniques for pf?

Ron on 6/04/05 at 14:36 (176122)

This is right up my alley. ;-> The right stretches would be all of them. I read Phil Wharton recommended to stretch Zone 5 (assuming that is lower extremeties), which he discusses in his book, which I don't have at present.

I do some of these located here:

I must admit that knowing more about the group muscles would help me greatly. And I must warn you that if you are really tight, the actual stretch won't seem like much at first. And certain stretches you'll find that all you'll feel is a mild discomfort. It is an entire paradigm change from static stretching.

The hardest one I had to get used to was the stretch in the lower calf and achillies tendon. What I do with this muscle is, while sitting and leg bent, reach down and grab my feet from the top over my large toe and pull to feel anything substantial (probably because of my extreme tightness). Lately I've been bending my ankle to the left and right and grabbing it in different directions. But it's taken me a month to get used to a feel of a good stretch. Your mileage will certainly vary.

I suggest buying Aaron Mattes book and the Wharton book and read them well, and ignore any bad advie I might have given unintentionally. I haven't bought them yet only because I've more time than money right now :->. The internet is a valuable resource when used properly.

Ron on 6/04/05 at 14:54 (176125)

Oh yea, I recommend not just stretching the ankle and calf region, but the entire lower portion of the body. For me, and I feel strongly for others as well, PF is a whole region disorder.

I've always felt that PF has something to do with blood flow, ever since my pain miraculously went away some years back after changing to a hiking boot for work and some insoles. That very night and the next morning I felt this cool feeling in my feet; if I had to guess it was blood flow. The pain was gone for a day or two only to come back like it was before.

Ever since then I've tried to regain that feeling of health in my feet, with only a small amount of success until AIS. I only get that same feeling when I stretch my hamstrings, then my hip region (almost in that order). The feeling is more regular now (like right now sitting at my computer), so the rush of 'airiness' isn't as strong.

Is this feeling blood flow, general energy, a release of tightness? I don't know and I don't care. What I do know it's a feeling of well being.

I hope your success is as good as mine.

Good luck.

Leopold on 6/04/05 at 15:10 (176126)

Thanks for posting your experiences! I will check out the Mattes and Wharton books. I am also going to try some of those stretches and see if they don't help me. I had heard that before that PF was more of other muscles causing problem then just a foot problem and these kind of stretches help. I noticed my foot felt better when I started getting my feet massaged and me doing it 3x a day. This result would follow your thinking about PF being a blood flow problem since massage aids that. Would you mind telling me which stretches you did from the hartmann website to aid your feet? If you could just tell me the numbers from that website that would be great. I noticed the exercises are numbered 1-10. Thanks Ron

Ron on 6/04/05 at 18:43 (176133)

These are the stretches I do:

The problem is there are no pictures. Look at the other site to help you out with what to do. To these I've added a few, like neck stretches, and for awhile back stretches but I've skipped the latter because my back started to bother me. I'd better read up on this area to know more of what I'm doing.

I've heard all total there are 59 basic stretches. I've read many complaints about the Wharton book claiming these can be done in 20 minutes. People have said that isn't so, but without distractions you can get these done in 40 minutes or so.

Huh! I take that long for just these 11. ;->. But I do many different versions of each of the 11.

Ron on 6/04/05 at 20:06 (176140)

I forgot about a few more things that I do or have done.

I massage my calf in a general way. My calf gets extra sore, so I will point my foot downward to relax it and then massage for a bit. Then I'll massage my feet, both by flexing my feet in both directions. Pointing the foot will relax the plantar fascia, while dorsiflexing it will tighten it.

While sitting I'll grab my big toe and pull toward my heel, in the AIS (hold only two seconds). I've always had a problem in my ankle in this region. The stretch will be felt where the ankle hits the foot in the front. I'll take my other toes all at once and do the same with them.

I learned in Bob Anderson's book, Stretching, that by kneeling and put your toes on the ground, you can stretch the plantar fascia directly. I do that as well, hold for two seconds and stop and only do one side at a time.

You can also stretch your achillies tendon by leaning on one knee and taking the opposite foot and stepping on it lightly. Just keep in mind the AIS principles. I know I'm breaking some of the principles with these stretches. Until they prove unproductive I'll continue with them.

Re: The Problem with AIS for PF

Mike W on 6/09/05 at 08:06 (176380)

I have the Whartons Stretch Book.

The problem with their toe/foot/lower leg strethes is that they do not isolate the EXTENSOR muscles. They only focus on the toe FLEXOR muscles.
This is probably due to the fact that you cannnot isolate the EXTENSOR muscles with a rope.