Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Picture for Suzanne (and others)

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/05 at 18:40 (176162)

Suzanne, you were asking if I had bought anything lately for the house, and at that time I had not. I have been trying to be frugal. BUT, a couple of days ago Frank and I went to a local antique shop that had just got in a huge amount of beautiful items from an estate. I got a pair of 18' tall grecian type statues or figurines. One is a youthful man or boy carrying a basket on his shoulder, and the other is a young lady or girl carrying an urn. The statues appear to have been made some time ago, and they are surprisingly heavy. Here they are.

http://www.geocities.com/myphotos4u2c/

They were $45 for the pair, because the boy is damaged... his right hip is chipped, and you can almost see that in the photo. If he faced the camera you would see a white, broken area. I plan to paint the chipped area the same color of beige as the rest of him, and then keep him turned like this. I won't notice it then, because I am nearsighted. These statues are DEFINITELY not to everybody's taste, but I like them and that's what matters in the long run.

A few months ago you helped me to discover that I really do collect something... affordable art that I like. I don't really collect anything else but I dearly love to have paintings and sculpture that I like in my home. It adds to my quality of life! :)

Carole C

Re: Picture for Suzanne (and others)

Suzanne D. on 6/05/05 at 19:44 (176165)

Oh, how neat, Carole! Thanks so much for sharing the picture with us. I really do enjoy seeing pictures that you post. I remember your writing about the alcove (Is that the right word?) and wondering just what you might choose to put on the shelves. That's where these statues are placed, right? They really do look 'at home' there!

I also like the way you make things in your life special. It's an inspiring trait to possess!

Thanks again,
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/05 at 19:47 (176166)

Thank you, Suzanne! Yes, they are in the alcove. I am happy that they fit there, with an inch to spare. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 6/05/05 at 20:51 (176167)

That makes it seem like they were just meant to be there, doesn't it? Makes the find seem all the more special.

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/05/05 at 21:19 (176169)

I think they were meant to be there, too! I haven't been happy with anything else in that space, but these figures are just perfect for it.

Also the damage to the one figure makes me feel like maybe they were meant to be mine. They probably would have been marked at a much higher price that I could not afford, if the boy had not been chipped. It is too bad that the boy was damaged, and many people might not want a damaged figure. But, I like finding damaged art because I am more likely to be able to afford it. :)

Carole C

Necee on 6/07/05 at 00:45 (176226)

Thanks for sharing the picture of your statues. They are really nice looking pieces.
Isn't it fun to go shopping and come across something that catches your eye, you discover that you just have to bring it home where you can enjoy it daily.
Antiquing is so much fun!

Happy trails....

Necee

Carole C in NOLA on 6/07/05 at 16:58 (176258)

Thanks Necee! I'm glad you like them too. I had been looking for just the right thing for my alcove for almost three years, and I am happy that I found these affordable statues which I like.

I agree - - antiquing is so much fun!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 6/07/05 at 17:26 (176267)

After reading your post, and posting a response, I got up the nerve to try to paint the chipped area on the grecian boy's hip. Kind of scary since I didn't want to ruin him!

I looked at the paints I already had, and much to my surprise I found one that was the perfect color. It was spray paint, so I took the spray can outside, sprayed it into a disposable bowl, and then applied the paint to the chipped area of the statue with a brush. The white, chipped area was about one inch by 1/3 inch. After covering it, I used a paper towel to smooth around the edges and remove any excess.

To me the damage now looks completely hidden in the folds of the boy's robe. I am ecstatic. Even up close it is nearly impossible to spot. I have turned him so that he is facing forward. :)

Carole C

Ron on 6/07/05 at 22:26 (176286)

You could have used plaster to fix the crack and then sanded anything that didn't look right. Don't go too thick at one time and apply to a roghed up surface. Plaster could easily last 100 years if it's protected.

For an exact paint match you could have taken a small chip of paint from the statue and then taken that chip to a paint store, or paint area of your local hardware store, and they could have matched the paint exactly with their computerized system. A pint would do just fine.

I see you've fixed the problem in a much easier fashion, but ever in the future you could use this as a reference.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/08/05 at 12:08 (176329)

It really wasn't a crack, and I wouldn't want to chip the statue AGAIN just to match the paint - I think the color I had was probably as close as one could get (computer or not). That's because the colors are quite variable already, due to age, so it looks better than an exact match of a chip would look.

Actually I'm completely happy with the way it turned out so it's good I didn't read your post before I fixed it. But thanks for the info, and I'll keep it in mind. :)

Carole C

JudyS on 6/09/05 at 22:19 (176430)

Carole - your statuettes are truly beautiful! Where are you putting them?

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/05 at 12:24 (176460)

Thank you! They are in the mirrored alcove (as in the photo), in my living room. That's the room where I spend most of my time.

I am hoping to find a pretty tapestry or place mat to put under them, to kind of 'dress up' the alcove.

Carole C