Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking shoes for high flexible arch, wide front, narrow heel

Posted by marthar on 6/05/05 at 23:11 (176174)

I would like to NOT spend $1000 or so trying to find the perfect walking shoe. I'm female, with a high, flexible arch, wide foot front, and narrow heel. Is there anyone out there who has this type of foot and has found the perfect shoe? If so, please tell me which one? Thank you.

Re: Walking shoes for high flexible arch, wide front, narrow heel

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/07/05 at 17:19 (176265)

marthar:
You are looking for a shoe with two widths AKA, a combination lasted shoe.
New Balance is one of the few companies that makes such shoes.
Ed

susan o on 6/08/05 at 14:30 (176339)

I'm still looking for that elusive perfect shoe. But I CAN give you some tips that have helped with my own narrow heel no matter what kind of shoe you get. First it helps to get shoes that have......hm, how to explain this...some shoes have a last hole for laces that is set to the side and closer to the ankle. arrrgh, anyone able to explain that better?! Anyway, it helps to have that extra hole to get the laces tighter.

Also, there is a special way to run the laces in the last hole. When you get to that top hole, instead of crossing the lace over the foot to the last hole on the opposite side, run the lace into the last hole on the same side (outside to inside). Do that on both sides, then cross the lace as usual and poke the ends through the loops you have created on the outside of the shoe. This helps enormously to snug the shoe to your heel.

Terry on 6/10/05 at 13:03 (176462)

Thanks Susan for this tip on lacing the shoes. I tried that method today and it works. I also have a narrow heel. And my shoes were more snug when laced according your your suggestions.

susan o on 6/23/05 at 09:14 (177246)

Glad to help. Have been surprised at the number of folks who work in shoe stores who don't know about this trick. It helps enormously!