Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post-Op Pain

Posted by Stupe on 6/06/05 at 18:34 (176208)

I just had open (not endoscopic) PF release surgery 5/31 and had my first post-op visit today. I am still in moderate pain from surgery and today is the first day I was able to wear my Cam-Walker. He removed the bandages, but not the stitches, today. My podiatrist told me that:
1. I would have no pain after surgery and would not need pain medication or crutches (I ended up getting both)
2. he has done this very 'minor procedure' hundreds of times and that I am 'unusual' in that I have pain and am unable to bear weight...
3. I do feel better today than I did the first few days after surgery and I expect to feel better as time goes by

My question is: am I really 'abnormal' in that I do have post-op pain? I was made to feel that I am 'overreacting'... Or that something is wrong with me because I have pain...

I plan to have surgery on my other foot in the near future but am not sure if he is the Dr for me...

Please advise.

Re: Post-Op Pain

Dr. Z on 6/06/05 at 18:38 (176209)

Hi
Most patients will have pain with the inability to walk after open surgery. Doctors will usually have you non-weight bearing after open plantar fascia release. Most will need strong pain medication after open plantar fascia release.
It does sound like you are feeling better.

Stupe on 6/06/05 at 18:48 (176212)

Thank you for your quick reply!

I was starting to think I was being a 'baby' or 'sissy girl' because I needed medication and crutches... My Dr had said I would be back on my feet in 2-4 days and that is just not true!

Thanks again!

Jim leonard on 6/07/05 at 16:05 (176248)

Don,t you ever give full details instead of riddles? And by the way doesn,t such medications cause awfull side effects? It also seems like you would be spending more time with other sick patients! then to waste time compeleting screwballs messages on this board

rudy on 6/11/05 at 12:22 (176536)

im one tear out of p.f. surgery and pain is barly starting to go MRI last week showed imflamed facia so my foot is still healind during this surgery a lot of small nerves are cut and take time to griw back also the arch lowers and the bones move and re-adjust and there will be scare tissue it takes time read the patient data base