Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hi all solved the taping problem!!

Posted by Tina H on 6/07/05 at 16:27 (176251)

I thought I'd share some info I learned today about taping. As you know I've been frustrated, because when I asked a Dr. how to tape, and he just told me to look at the method here. When I told him that the tape wasn't sticking he told me to use duct tape and sent us on our way.
Today I went to see the athletic trainer at the school where I coach. In 10 minutes she gave me basic instructions on taping and getting tape to stick. She gave me Tuf-skin, a spray product made by Cramer to make the foot sticky, it works!! She said benzoine is too strong and could really rip the skin if you try to take the tape off before it comes off on it's own. She couldn't believe the doctor told us to use duct tape. She said that's a bad choice because it contributes to bad fungal infections. I then showed her Scott's method, Runner's world method and another I found on the internet. She said Scott's was the best but modified it a bit for my daughter using some anchor strips, ending with stretchy elastic tape. The tuf-skin worked so well that it didn't even come off when my daughter went swimming. Thought I'd share this with you in case anyone else has the same issue. I'm glad to have this problem finally solved. It's amazing that the doctor didn't tell me about this product!! Tina

Re: Hi all solved the taping problem!!

Ron on 6/07/05 at 19:40 (176279)

> She couldn't believe the doctor told us to use duct tape. She said that's
> a bad choice because it contributes to bad fungal infections.

Not only that but duct tape would make a sticky mess on the feet it would rip hair and skin with abandon. Once duct tape is on the skin and gets wet from swet it would become a guey mess, also.

A small trivia question:
What is duct tape never used for (if you know what you're doing)? Ducts!

john h on 6/07/05 at 22:33 (176288)

I use duct tape for all sorts of things including sealing joints on ducts. You know they have a brand of duct tape called Duck Tape. There was a big run on duct tape a few years ago when some government official advised everyone to keep it on hand to seal around doors and windows in case of a terror type gas attack. Stores ran out of the stuff. Of course criminals all ways need a few rolls to tie you up and gag you.

Ron on 6/07/05 at 23:27 (176293)

Do you work with Duct's all the time? Do you install them?

The generic Duct tape is the worst thing to use because after a few years it dries up and opens your 'seal'. That's the gray duct tape with threads running through it. They have a silvery tape that *could* be called duct tape, but most I've heard refer to it as reflective tape or some-such.

The best sealers are putty that they call duct seal or the relfective tape.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/08/05 at 00:25 (176302)

Tina:
Most docs use a pre- tape spray since it increases adhesiveness and creates a barrier against skin irritation and allergic reactions to the adhesive in tape. Sports tape is charcterized by breathability (not found in duct tape), high tensille stength but ease of tearing since athletic trainors on the field can get a taping on at high speeds without a scissor.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/08/05 at 00:28 (176303)

PS when one is finsihed taping, the tape may be coated with a thin layers of paraffin rubbed over the taping to keep adhesive from 'bleeding through' the tape and sticking to the sock.
Ed

Tina H on 6/08/05 at 06:52 (176309)

Ed, I hadn't heard about the paraffin but I've been rubbing the tape job with powder after to keep it from sticking to her sock. Seems to work. Thank you!!! Tina

john h on 6/08/05 at 11:25 (176325)

Ron: I sometimes will tape the insulation around the ducts but leave the duct repairs to the professionals. There is a product called Jet Seal which can be blown in to your duct system by a company licensed to do such things. It will seal any crack or hole up to the size of half dollar. Most homes lose a tremendous amount of energy because of their ducts having cracks,holes and seperations. A few years ago I was under my home checking the ducts and found a large section had fallen from the hangar and was completely separated. I do not know how long I had been pumping hot/cold air under my house. I replaced all the hangars as even the metal ones will rust and eventually break and allow you duct work to fall. There is also a common test that can be done for about $100. It is called a Blower Door test. All your doors to the outside are closed and windows closed and a very large fan is placed in one door that covers the entire door. the fan pumps all of the air in the house to the outside. A computer then can measure how much air you are losing through such things as the fire place, bad ducts and even such small things as electrical outlets. During the test I could put my hand by the electrical duplex outlet and feel the air. You can plug in small plastic plugs into you outlets to prevent air loss if you are really in to this. I think I read the average home can lose around 25% HVAC efficiency.due to duct work.

Ron on 6/08/05 at 14:03 (176333)

LOL, I knew it! ;-> Don't use duct tape for anything that needs to be held for years. It will dry out. Take my advice and purchase the reflective tape. Your local (small) hardware store will know what I'm talking about.

You're right about homes losing too much energy through faulty duct work and bad insulation. That's why on a new home it's best to be a pain-in-the-ass and make sure these construction workers do their job. All it takes is one comment to make them all do a better job. That's one thing a consctruction worker hates is to redo his work.