Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

swelling on back of heel from ski boots

Posted by johnj on 6/08/05 at 04:12 (176305)

Hi,

My son has swelling on back of heel, from a pair of badly fitted ski race boots. This hard lump has destroyed the back of 2 pairs of trainers.
How can this be removed\reduced?

thanks
JJ

Re: swelling on back of heel from ski boots

Dr Ben Pearl on 6/08/05 at 17:04 (176355)

eswt will not work. It needs to be surgically excised or he needs custom fitted boots

Richard, C. Ped on 6/09/05 at 07:40 (176378)

Hi John,
I am going to let my business partner, Mike, who is a certified master bootfitter as well as a C.Ped, about your question.

mike t on 6/09/05 at 08:20 (176381)

It is estimated in the ski industry that of the people who have there own ski boots 93% have bought boots 1 to 2 sizes to large. If the boot is too long for the foot that is in it and the wearer can tighten the top around the leg, the net result is the foot can slam around inside the bottom at some really outrageous 'G' loads while skiing. Added to that the G loads will severely pronate the foot, banging the medial malleolus into the side of the boot and the lateral heel into the outside of the boot. All that said, the solution is simple to remedy,(first get the right size boots and custom footbeds to limit movement)find a bootfitter on the web near you(type in 'bootfitting' on any search engine). More than likely this is what we in the ski industry call a 'pump bump', medically a 'retrocancaneal bursitis'. It would be hard to know without seeing him. This will usually calcify and not go away, you may need to have the inside of the boot shell ground out to relieve pressure in that area(very easy to do).

Richard, C. Ped on 6/09/05 at 08:46 (176383)

John,
Mike was reluctant to add the ski shop web site, but I am going to do it for him. If you have any questions at all, there is an 800 number. He knows many boot fitters in most ski areas.

http://www.southernski.com