Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Ed or Richard-leg brace?

Posted by chrisb on 6/08/05 at 14:08 (176334)

I'm a diagnostic mystery. Started as pf 4 years ago, then they thought a pinched calcaneal nerve. Been through custom orthotics, ESWT, TTS surgery. No relief. I can't walk more than 40 yards. It is as if a nerve gets inflamed with weightbearing, although standing is not as bad.
But with arm crutches to keep some/most of the weight off my heel I can get around.

My question: is there any kind of leg brace that will keep some weight off my heel? Something that maybe laces onto my calf that will transfer weightbearing to my calf?
If so what's it called? (PTB brace?)

Thanks for your help.
Chris

Re: Dr Ed or Richard-leg brace?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/08/05 at 15:52 (176346)

chris:
You correct in that the patellar weight bearing brace takes about 30 per cent of the pressure off the foot. I am not sure if that is something you want to use full time though. where do you live?
Ed

chrisb on 6/08/05 at 18:26 (176361)

Thanks Dr. Ed.
I'm on the east coast of Canada.
So it would be a patellar brace? Does that strap onto the calf below the knee? What would be the problem using it full time?
Chris

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/08/05 at 21:56 (176369)

chris:
It has a platform like shelf that allows some pressure to be placed on the knee. It is a fairly rigid device and like all rigid braces, muscles wwill atrophy when used for a prolonged period of time.
Ed

Cyndi on 6/09/05 at 10:15 (176390)

I use a cane and have re-started back with my night splint and I do feel somewhat better. Can you also do water therapy?
I am finding that hard now with all the kids out form school at the 'Y' and the spring storms that close the pool.

Cyndi :-)