Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tearing sensation

Posted by Rebecca on 6/09/05 at 12:22 (176395)

I was first diagnosed with PF four years ago. I was given exercises and sent on my way. After experiencing increased pain in my arch and what I can only described as fitgue in the ball of my foot, two years ago, I returned to the doc and was fitted for night splints. These worked for a period of time but not much. The pain is much less intense when I massage the area or apply pressure to specific points on my foot. It's been warmer out so I decided to wear sandals for a few days. This was a diviation from my normal routine of thick soled shoes and arch supports I picked up from a running store. My feet became very sore. The pain only subsided when I was massage the area. I visited the doctor and she referred me to an porthopedist, but he can't see me for nearly three weeks.
Starting yesterday I noticed my pain getting worse and being accompanied by a tearing sensation in my heel along with tingeling. Please ease my mind and tell me it's not really tearing? I still have three weeks until I see the podiatrist and I just want to ease my mind. I'm icing my foot, trying to stay off of it until then. My referring doc has also perscriped to anti-inflammatories to get me through.

Re: Tearing sensation

pittunea on 6/10/05 at 15:45 (176468)

did your initial PF happen rather quickly? I don't know what is wrong with my foot and am trying to rule out anything. I feel the tearing too...but this has only been going on for about 2 weeks. my 'injury' just got to the point where I could not walk right and the 2nd,3rd, and not so much but 4th toes don't support a tippie toe stand.

Karen on 6/11/05 at 16:23 (176552)

I am not a doctor but I am pretty sure that not beeing able to stand on your toes is a test for the post tibial tendon, it runs from the bottom of your calf under and along side your inner ankle and up and under your arch.
Have you seen a doctor?

Rachael T. on 6/11/05 at 21:20 (176563)

I used to have ALOT of tearing sensations over the entire sole area of my foot - mostly in the heel area & in the ball of my foot & sometimes, in the midfoot as well. I am glad I cannot recall these tearing sensations; they DID happen though at the end of my 1st year of pf. They subsided - but took a loooong time to entirely disappear. I noted back then - that sometimes it was if my sole was too stiff; & other times, I noted that it was if my shoe's sole was too flexible...soo, go figure, true? I still have fatigue in my ball of feet if I wear a sole that is thinner or more flexible - like a Tatami sandal Birkenstock. But, in Arizona or Boston Birkenstock styles, the soles are thicker & firmer~my feet feel better for long term wearability. I am doing much, much better after 4 years - I continue to wear Birks & also Brooks Ariels w/ my orthotics made by a cped. I am on my feet alot now & my feet have much more endurance.....I am thankful, finally & wish you well too. I would consider taping if I were you if you continue to feel tearing sensations...I did tape back then.