Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

does this sound like PF?

Posted by christy on 6/09/05 at 15:09 (176403)

I started running about 3 weeks ago very slowly. Last week my heel sort of between my ankle bone and achilles tendon started hurting. It doesn't hurt when I am not on my feet and when I am on my feet it mostly hurts after my heel has struck the ground as my foot is 'taking off' into the next step. Also if I just continue to push through and keep exercising it seems to get better after a few minutes, only to return after I have finished. It also hurts to push on that fleshy part between the heel bone and the achilles tendon.
Anyway Thanks for your thoughts

Re: does this sound like PF?

M. Beck on 6/10/05 at 10:21 (176451)

The best thing to do is to get to a podiatrist to check yourself out. Better to go now and get as thourough an evaluation as possible. Best not to wait.

pittunea on 6/10/05 at 15:49 (176471)

I feel the same thing.
Just curious, how old are you and do you play other sports?
are you running on a treadmill?
Does it feel like you are 'losing' the arch in your foot and the stability in your toes when you stand 'tippie toe'?
I have been on crutches for a week now and during the course of that time, my foot swelled up and then it is now starting to go down.

Keep in touch.

Ron on 6/10/05 at 15:57 (176472)

One of the main indicators of having PF is pain in the heel in the morning or after periods of rest. You may have atypical PF or something else. See a podiatrist for a thorough evaluation.

Kathy G on 6/10/05 at 18:39 (176492)

Have to get in my two cents worth! :) I would recommend you see a podiatrist before you do any more running. I have had atypical PF for a long time and have had morning pain only a couple of times. PF can take on many faces and the most important thing to remember is that at least 90% of people who have it get over it, or at least are able to function almost as well as they could prior to its rearing its ugly head. The most important thing is not to let it go.

Good luck and keep us posted.