Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How to keep fit with PF - One idea

Posted by DavidW on 6/10/05 at 07:20 (176436)

With my PF, I cannot walk, run or do any excersice that requires standing. I have also tried bicycling with negative effects and increased pain (caused my latest relapse).

I did start rowing several months ago, and it does not seem to aggravate my PF at all! I started very slowly, but I am now able to row up to 25 or 30 minutes or so and I can get a fairly decent workout. It does not seem to place much stress on the feet since rowing is done sitting. I am fortunate that I have a bowflex, which works pretty good as a rowing machine. It feels so good to sweat a little!

Just wanted to share my experience.

Re: How to keep fit with PF - One idea

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/05 at 12:21 (176459)

That is great!

I was very worried about my fitness when I had PF, because I couldn't seem to do anything. But luckily I no longer have any PF pain, and once I was fully healed it only took a few weeks for me to build my muscles back. I was never very athletic, but still I had experienced a noticeable decline in my capabilities. Now, I am more fit than before PF.

So I would suggest to do what you are sure does not injure you further, and otherwise, don't feel bad. The important thing right now is to heal.

Carole C

KW on 6/10/05 at 15:47 (176469)

I agree Carole, healing comes first. I have found swimming to be WONDERFUL! I can even do some stretching in the water b/c I feel weightless.

lotka on 6/11/05 at 15:56 (176547)

Swimming is wonderful- Flounders never get PF and neither do Starfish or octopuses

marie on 6/11/05 at 21:58 (176567)

Swimming helped me alot. Well I wouldn't call it swimming at first more like floating and wiggling til I built up more strength. Now I like to swing. Yeah that's right swing. I'm a swinger......hahaha. There's an adult sized swing near our neighborhood. It's great and it's fun.

Whatever you do start out slow.:)

Doug L on 6/12/05 at 17:07 (176613)

I have had problems with rowing, if I pull forward too far it induces or aggravates Achilles tendonitis, so be careful, it may take a while to develop. (this can be almost as bad or maybe even worse than PF). Rowing is ok though, just don't go more than about 75% of the way forward. I try to do as much work with the arms as possible.

Someone mentioned swimming, and I have seen it said that it shouldn't be a problem, but I find that it gives me cramping in the bottom of the foot, not good for my PF of 10 years.

I have tried various solutions over the years and have never found anything to be of help until recently.

My solution is radical and may require a lot of preliminary preconditioning. I believe my problem is the result of atrophy so I am trying to make my feet do maximum work. I walk over to the beach in Teva sandles (100 yds from parking lot) These sandles seem better than custom orthotics.

Then I walk in my stocking feet up and down the beach on the softest sand I can find. (the sandles fit into a fanny pack)

It's pure torture, but it does get easier, there are tricks to making it easier, and much of the pain is good pain like a deep tissue massage.

In ten days of building up my time, I managed to do seven hours on the beach in one day, and for the first time in ten years, I sense some sort of improvement in my feet.