Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

is PF consider a work related disease in new york?

Posted by fernando on 6/10/05 at 18:09 (176486)

anybody knows if the workers compensation system in new york state recognize PF as a work related disease, is there any temporary benefit since I am unable to work ( I have a PF rupture )

thank you

Re: is PF consider a work related disease in new york?

rudy on 6/10/05 at 19:49 (176499)

no and no works man comp

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 6/10/05 at 20:57 (176506)

If you can get your doctor to prove that it was caused by your work you might be able to convince them. You would have to have had your case documented at work when the injury occurred.

Re: point of clarification

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/11/05 at 11:19 (176529)

There are work related diseases and there are work related injuries.
Plantar fasciitis is universally covered if it had beeen intiaited by a work related injury. The difficulty arises as to whether states recognize PF as a work related disease or not.
Ed

Ron on 6/11/05 at 14:13 (176542)

One of the problems of this is that PF, in the cases I'm aware of, starts off slowly. At first, you can't claim disability when it only hurts in the morning. By the time it gets to be crippling you've already had it several years, which makes your claim when and where it started ambiguous.

I'd say if you're going to try to get workmen's compensation it's best to get advice from a lawyer. One slip up in the process and you'll be denied.

john king on 6/12/05 at 15:16 (176608)

PF is like carpel tunnel syndrome. It starts as a minor pain and can lead to major disability. The federal government work force recognizes PF as work related. I was a postal worker and got work comp for PF.

Ron on 6/12/05 at 17:46 (176619)

This is the best article on the legal issues surrounding PF and workman's comp.

http://heelspurs.com/disability.html

john king on 6/12/05 at 19:02 (176622)

If I was a young person who was healthy except for PF I would shop around and find a private disability policy that would cover me for life. I did that when I was 35 years old. It does not pay me a great deal but I get that 700$ for the rest of my life as long as I am disabled and it is tax free. At least it pays the utilities.

Dr. Z on 6/14/05 at 17:52 (176779)

I have seen patients that have qualified and received work compensation from plantar fasciitis and have paid for ESWT. ESWT isn't for ruptures