Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

flat feet and heel spurs

Posted by Roofydoo on 6/12/05 at 22:09 (176639)

My 12 year old son has flat feet and heel pain. When he was 9 years old I took him to an orthopedic doctor. The doctor X-rayed his feet which showed the heel spurs. The doctor said that it was not uncommon for a 9 year old boy to have heel spurs and that the spurs should be gone when he turned 10. Now he is 12 and still has the same pain and symptoms he had when he was 9. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: flat feet and heel spurs

Richard, C. Ped on 6/13/05 at 09:57 (176653)

A proper orthosis. If casted, do not have him stand. The orthosis must be casted and made correctly to relieve the pain.

Ron on 6/13/05 at 15:52 (176695)

Does your son have very strong legs? I'm wondering why he'd have heel pain at age 9. Is his pain more prominent when he wakes up and during the first few steps after inactivity? If so, then this could be plantar fasciitis (PF). Flat feet can be a contributory factor in PF.

I would recommend seeing a podiatrist, rather than an orthopedist, to get a proper diagnosis.

Heel spurs can occur without or without heel pain. They aren't the cause of the heel pain but can be a contributory factor in it.

If he is found to have PF, then read this site for a boat load of information in treating it. It's best to get a handle on this as soon as you can.

rudy on 6/13/05 at 19:12 (176715)

a MRI will show active planter fasciitis and any teaer

Ron on 6/13/05 at 21:02 (176721)

From what people have said on this site, an MRI won't always show PF.