Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by bighurt on 6/12/05 at 22:15 (176640)

I am a basketball player. I am flat footed and my left ankle inverts more. I experience left ankle, hip and neck soreness. I have had this ever since i started playing at the ncaa level. I have tried many types of orthodics some work better than others but non have be able to alleviate the pain. The pain/soreness seems to be getting worse and worse. Is there anyway to get rid of this pain?

Re: Orthodics

Richard, C. Ped on 6/13/05 at 09:56 (176652)

As a primary sports medicine pedorthist, we see tons of athletes with this foot type. The orthosis has to be made correctly. I can almost bet there is no fore foot varus posting. Talk to your athletic trainer, and have them get in touch with me if they have any questions.
(email removed)

Liboralis on 6/13/05 at 16:01 (176698)

If you have a flat foot then it should 'evert' which is the opposite of invert. What area are you from?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/05 at 18:15 (176706)

I think that confusion arises when we talk of the foot inverting and everting. In reality, the subtalar joint (back of the foot) should be inverted by the orthotic and the midtarsal joint (front of the foot) should be everted (pronated) by the orthotic.