Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lots of walking- college tours

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 6/13/05 at 13:18 (176672)

I think my PF is at least 90% better than last summer. Last week we visited two different colleges & went on walking tours. My feet held up & I was so pleased to be able to drive home with just a little pain. Did anyone on the board attend Oberlin College in Ohio? So far that has been my liberal daughter's pick (not mine) Next week headed south to Vanderbilt, so I'm resting my feet to get ready for the next tour. My husband will go along but not walking, he is still recuperating from the two sessions of heart catherizations & stents. He has recently qualified for teacher disability retirement, it will be the lst time in 25 years that we don't start back to school together.

Re: Lots of walking- college tours

Suzanne D. on 6/13/05 at 21:19 (176724)

That's wonderful, Kathy, that you are 90% better and were able to take the college walking tours with your daughter. I know how important those are!

I don't have first-hand knowledge of either Oberlin or Vanderbilt although, of course I've heard of both. Good luck in your daughter's college choice!

When does she leave for the Governor's Scholars Program this summer? I hope it is a wonderful experience for her.

Best wishes to your husband in recuperating from the heart procedures. I'm sure that will seem strange to both of you for him not to start school at the end of the summer. I have also just completed my 25th year of teaching.

Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/13/05 at 22:03 (176729)

Kathy, I'm so glad to hear about the improvement in your feet! That is wonderful.

My brother went to Oberlin for a year in 1959 when he was a freshman. It was pretty liberal at that time though it had an excellent reputation academically speaking. My brother was very young, very mixed up, and very homesick, so he only stayed there one year. Wish I could tell you more about Oberlin.

Carole C

Necee on 6/13/05 at 23:14 (176734)

It's always good to hear when there's improvement with PF! Hope you continue to get better Kathy, and that your husband continues to recover well from his precedures. Sounds like your plate is full right now!

Happy trails.....

Necee

Kathy in Ky on 6/14/05 at 07:20 (176743)

She leaves for GSP at Centre on June 26 (we are hoping she likes Centre & wants to attend college closer to home). I'm sure she we meet many interesting kids from all over the state. I'm planning to read & sew during the 5 weeks she is away, it will be a practice run for me when she leaves next year.

Kathy in Ky on 6/14/05 at 07:28 (176744)

My husband is worried about her getting homesick also. She's never been homesick during her summer travels but the longest time away has been 3 weeks. I think it might be different for a longer length of time & to be 5 hours away. Of course, she is at that age where she wants to spread her wings. Right now we are looking at 5 or 6 schools & will need to consider the best scholarship offers next winter. My friends know this will be a hard year for me, she is our one & only and the only grandchild on my side of the family. I'll be taking up some new hobbies!

Ralph on 6/14/05 at 09:17 (176750)

Kathy,
I hope this will bring you some comfort. My niece who was never away from home one day in her life, never baby sat, and had very few friends decided she wanted to go across country to attend a very large university.

Talk about parents being afraid, my brother and sister-in-law thought they were nuts to even entertain the idea that Debbie would travel that far from home let alone stay there.

Debbie wouldn't give up the idea so they made an agreement with her that if she went to the school of HER choice that no tears in the world would bring her home that first year.

She could go but she would have to stick it out for the full year.

Debbie went and I can tell you from phone conversations with my brother that the first semester was the most difficult for her. They heard from her almost on a daily basis just for reassurance I think. The second semester the phone calls deminished and when it came time to graduate Debbie asked my brother if she could stay an extra semester because she didn't get to be a room mate to one of her friends yet.

Needless to say the answer was 'yes if you want to pay for the extra semester' so Debbie graduated with her class in 2004 and is currently attending medical school at UCLA.

My brother and sister-in-law said they sent away a girl and they were returned a young woman, one that grew in confidence, poise, education, and most of all maturity.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/14/05 at 11:57 (176763)

Also there was a big reason for my brother's homesickness, that I didn't mention. He was only 14 when he graduated from high school, and although he was intellectually very advanced he was socially pretty immature. They let kids skip grades like that back then, but it isn't always a smart thing to do.

His roommate was a beatnik (remember, this was in the late 1950's) and played the guitar all the time, had a beard, never bathed, and insisted on leaving the window open all winter (snow or not). Bob had never been around anybody like that before and didn't know what to do. So, he pretty much froze all winter and avoided the roommate.

He did join the fencing team, and did quite well in that so it wasn't a totally negative experience. But the next year, he was glad to move back in and go to our local college.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 6/14/05 at 21:00 (176787)

My daughter was at EKU for GSP two summers ago. Her best friend went to Centre that summer. There is a girl in our church who is also going to Centre this summer.

You are right, Kathy: it is a 'practice run' for when they leave for college - for them and for their parents.

Best wishes,

Suzanne D. on 6/14/05 at 21:09 (176790)

Your brother certainly had reasons to be homesick at 14, Carole. No matter how intelligent and ready for college work, at 14 it would be quite difficult to be ready for dorm life, I think. It is to his credit that he had a successful first year away at college at that age!

When my older daughter was a college freshman, there was a boy who was 16 and a freshman. She felt sorry for him as it seemed to her that he was taken advantage of by the older boys and was not socially ready to be there.

You're right: there isn't as much 'skipping grades' now as there used to be. My younger daughter had high level math classes in high school with a middle school boy who was brought over for some advanced classes. She had AP Calculus with him when she was a senior and he was a freshman. I think the next year he was going to be allowed to attend selected classes at our community college while still taking some high school classes.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/15/05 at 17:48 (176888)

Suzanne, that sounds like a much smarter way to handle kids like that. Back in the 1950's, I guess nobody thought much about the emotional development of kids, and instead they were more concerned with intellectual development only. All in all, it was a very difficult environment for Bob to handle.

Carole C

marie on 6/18/05 at 01:26 (177042)

Oberlyn is a good school.........most college campuses are a bit liberal. Anytime you get a couple thousand people between the ages of 18-25 it's going to be liberal or one heck of a party.

My oldest goes to an extremely conservative school........but believe me it's not that conservative...........especially cause he's a liberal. Ya just have to find what suits ya. It's the education that's most important.

One of his friends goes to Vanderbilt and loves it. I don't know if she is a liberal or what but she likes it.