Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

not sure if tts, and can I massage it?

Posted by Cathy G on 6/14/05 at 16:11 (176773)

I had eswt last fall for pf. I still have pf pain, with a little improvement after phsiotherapy. My pod. thought I had tts, as I have pain and swelling on the innerside of my ankle. I went to a neurologist who did a nerve conduction study, and he said that there is no conduction prob. The physical therapist thinks the swelling is due to a tendon irritation and weakness related to the pf. He has given me an exercise band to strengthen the foot, plus the runner's stretch with an emphasis on slightly everting the foot as I stretch, which seems to be slightly helping. I am curious as to other opinions, and also wonder if it would be ok to massage and ice/heat the area.

Re: not sure if tts, and can I massage it?

Kris on 6/14/05 at 23:36 (176803)

I don't massage mine. I can't stand for mine to be touched. PT didn't help me a bit - made mine worse.

Can you stand to massage it? Does it make it worse?

If I start rubbing on mine, I'm not going to be walking for a few days. I can't even stand my inner ankle to touch anything. I put a big body pillow around it at night.

M. Beck on 6/15/05 at 10:46 (176823)

Don't massage directly on the tarsal tunnel area that would be my advice. My experience is that there is no extra pain when massaging the bottom of the foot and the calf. So it would seem that calf and foot massage (staying clear of the tarsal tunnel area) should encourage blood flow and do some good. A tarsal tunnel sufferer who founded foot chat seems to get relief from that type of massage. Kris, how long have you been suffering from tarsal tunnel if you don't mind me asking?

NAB on 6/15/05 at 11:34 (176834)

Ask the physical therapist to turn your foot inward and hold it there while massaging the TTS area. I found that this released pressure on the tarsal tunnel and alleviated the pain. Until we figured this trick out, my physical therapist couldn't touch my ankle.