Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain the base of 5th metatarsal

Posted by Kate M on 6/15/05 at 14:44 (176866)

I have 'peroneal tendonitis' for which I see a PT. She said that my tendons are lax. She doesn't know why they are this way and my doctor didn't explain this either. I started doing the prescribed exercises and but had a very sharp pain at what I think is the base of my 5th metatarsal (the bump on the outside). The pain stops when I stop the exercises but it comes back if 'toe in' with my right foot. There is no bruising and maybe only a little puffiness and I can put weight on my foot without any problems so I can't imagine that I broke anything.

I see my PT again in 3 weeks. I wish that I had better information about this stuff. I don't want to look like a baby for calling my PT or my doctor if this is all normal.

Re: pain the base of 5th metatarsal

M. Beck on 6/15/05 at 15:01 (176869)

No harm in calling and checking. Hope all goes well. Can't offer any specific ideas on the problem. Doc would probably be best.

Liboralis on 6/15/05 at 21:47 (176910)

It is very easy to get a fx of the base of yout fifth or a insertional tendonitis of the peroneal brevis. Is you arch higher or do you have a flat foot? I am curious what your PT is doing to cure a lax peroneal tendon?

Kate M on 6/16/05 at 07:15 (176921)

I don't know - I guess that I have a normal arch.

The PT has me doing home exercises with a big rubber band like thing. I would call it resistance. I pull against it sort of pivoting my foot both in and out. Something popped on the outside of my foot when I was pulling in against the tension. It sort of feels like a sharp pain whenevr I toe in.

Could I have a broken bone and still walk on it? It only hurts if I toe in and it only seems to have a small puffy spot that isn't bruised.

I would feel so stupid if I bother her about nothing.