Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cost/comparison?

Posted by tearcer 1 on 6/16/05 at 06:53 (176920)

I am contemplating having this done. Approximately what is the cost of this and does the insurance pick it up? Also, what is the success rate between actual surgery and ESW?
Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
'I hurt soooooo badly'

Re: cost/comparison?

dave b. on 6/16/05 at 09:14 (176935)

I called a local clinic and they said $1500 for one foot; $2500 for two. I imagine this is covered by most insurers but I haven't checked into that yet. In my opinion surgery is riskier.

Ralph on 6/16/05 at 10:45 (176940)

You haven't been on the board for very long is you think most insurers are going to pick up your tab for ESWT.

Apparently there are bargains to be had. Vince keeps posting about a company called United Shockwave and the low cost for treatment that they provide.

This is the website he posts http://www.unitedshockwave.com/ .

dave b. on 6/16/05 at 12:18 (176945)

CIGNA POS, my insurance plan covers it--of course, with a pod's authorization.

Ralph on 6/16/05 at 12:23 (176946)

You may still want to check you prices that United is charging. Vince
posted a lot about this company.

dave b. on 6/16/05 at 12:28 (176948)

The pod I'm thinking of seeing is listed on the United.

Ralph on 6/16/05 at 13:11 (176950)

Hopefully you'll get this great deal that Vince talks about. Good luck with your treatment.

dave b. on 6/16/05 at 13:43 (176954)

Thanks. I can't imagine the outcome would be any worse than surgery. Even if I went out of network and paid full price and it worked, then that would be worth it.

Ralph on 6/16/05 at 20:41 (176973)

Dave,
If you want to get an idea of complications related to a surgical release look at this web site. I book marked it so if I was desperate it would slow me down before I allowed anyone to cut my plantar fascia. My little reminder to myself.

http://www.biomech.com/db_area/archives/1998/9812pain.33-39.bio-.html

elvis on 6/16/05 at 22:53 (176981)

Ralph......with all due respect the article you posted is from 1998. I didn;t read it but my guess is that it reports on surgeries done maybe a year or 2 befrore that. The procudeures get fine tuned. I think you should do yourself a favor and get up to date info.

Ralph on 6/17/05 at 09:57 (177004)

Elvis,
The article points out the complications that can occur due to various P.F. surgical procedures. If you look at the list of possible complications in the article and those that can and sometimes do occur today you'd find doctors dealing with the same ones listed in the '98 article. Such things as Medial column destablization, Nerve entrapment,
Infection, Adhesions, Cuboid pain, Lateral Column Syndrome.

dave b. on 6/17/05 at 10:04 (177005)

Thanks, but PF isn't the problem; the AT is. Nonetheless, surgery is the last ditch.

DriverWilde on 6/20/05 at 08:08 (177075)

http://www.cigna.com/health/provider/medical/procedural/coverage_positions/medical/mm_0004_coveragepositioncriteria_eswt_for_musculoskeletal_conditions.pdf

You might double check with the person that told you the procedure would be covered.

-dW

dave b. on 6/20/05 at 08:52 (177079)

Thanks. I called CIGNA and was told it 'depends' on whether it's medically necessary. I guess if the podiatrist says it is then it's covered.

Ralph on 6/20/05 at 11:57 (177093)

Dave,
Guesses are best left to circus venders who guess people's weights. The best way to cover yourself is to call your insurance company and find out for CERTAIN that they will indeed cover all costs associated with the procedure or the portion they will cover. It elimates all the guess work
and you won't end up with any big financial surprises.

DriverWilde on 6/20/05 at 12:56 (177095)

Well said, Ralph.

Get an authorization in writing. Realize that CIGNA has already put it in writing that they are not covering the procedure. Hate to see you get stuck with a bill. Here in Florida CIGNA is not paying for the procedure.

-dW

dave b. on 6/20/05 at 13:46 (177096)

I was told that it may be covered depending on the doctor's submission of notes and recommendations. Sounds dicey at best.

S. B. on 6/23/05 at 16:08 (177258)

We have Cigna, and they told us the same thing. However, it wasn't covered. Even though the doctor said it was medically necessary, they decided it was not. The doctor and Healthtronics told us ahead of time it would not be covered by Cigna, and that Cigna is one of the most difficult to deal with about it. They all cut us deals for out of pocket and we paid up front. Cigna was billed and covered nothing.