Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Finding a surgeon

Posted by karen h on 6/16/05 at 15:45 (176962)

How does one find a good surgeon? Foot surgery is so very delicate, and I have no clue where to go. My current podiatrist (a Dr. Dellon foller) wants to do surgery. After going over all the risks, I asked him how many of these releases he had done. He answered that several hundred had been done all over the country. Talk about a big, red flag going up!!! I went to another podiatrist for a second opinion. He makes me feel more comfortable, but how does one really find out who is a good surgeon???? (I live in Utah)

Re: Finding a surgeon

elvis on 6/16/05 at 18:35 (176965)

That's a problem trying to pick any professional perosn. Everybody always think that their doctor, or lawyer, or accountant or stockbroker is the best. I used to be a Pharmacist and used to work in a hopsital and even some nurses went to doctors I wouldn't bring my dog to (no offense Ginger!). A surgical nurse may be a good bet. Of course people who have successfully been treated by a doctor for the basically the same problem would be a good way to find a good surgeon. Another is to call the local Univeristy or the Utah Jazz and find out who works on the college level and pro level athletes. PF is very common among NBA players.

I have a friend who is a physical therapist in Phoenix and he says the best guy in Phoenix is:

Gus J. Armendariz MD
2222 E Highland Ave Ste 300
Phoenix Arizona 85016-4879
Phone: 602-277-6211
http://www.bomex.org/

You can either go to Phoenix for treatment or call and see if they recommend anyone in you local area.

You've asked a good question and most of the time we never really know!

Re: Finding a surgeon

elvis on 6/16/05 at 18:38 (176966)

Forgot to add that you should also look for a doctor who has a fellowship in the lower extremity.

Good luck!