Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I may have found a cure?

Posted by DavidW on 6/16/05 at 19:16 (176970)

I can only hope! I have had pain for over 3 years, tried everything including ESWT. You name it, I've tried it, so please don't recommend. Seen over a dozen doctors, all gave up.

Anyhow, about three weeks ago, my sister insisted that I go visit a friend of hers who is an LMT, CST (Licensed Massage Therapist, Cranio-Sacral Therapist). Of course, I was resistant, doubtfull, and afraid to even try for fear of another letdown. She paid for five sessions, so I reluctantly kind of had to go.

After five sessions of intense deep tissue massage from my hips, down to the bottom of my feet, I must say that I am feeling wonderful. This week I don't think that my pain levels have gone above a 2 (out of 10). These deep massages last 60 minutes, with at least 40 of that dedicated to my feet, and it is very painful at times. The LMT also suggested that I take a mega B-complex for a month or two to see if that helps. The ONLY other thing I am currently doing is Julie's yoga excersises, twice daily. He also suggested that I stop icing, which I did.

I am going to purchase five more sessions (not cheap, and not covered by insurance) from this gentleman tomorrow. If my feet feel this good after just three weeks, I am extremely anxious to see what can happen if I continue. I will update in a week or two, for anyone that cares to read my story. Hopefully it will continue to be positive.

Re: I may have found a cure?

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 6/16/05 at 19:50 (176971)

David, that is great to hear. I am very happy for you. Your treatment is what I suggest to people who are experiencing PF. Assess and treat the entire kinetic chain starting from the low back, gluteals, hamstrings, gastrocnemius, and feet. Well good for you and I hope you continue to do well.

Dr. Rob

Leopold on 6/16/05 at 22:03 (176976)

David,

Hope your cure continues! I had a similar thing happen to me. I have been getting my neck and shoulders massaged and thought I would have my foot done too! (I am post-surgery 9 mos. for PF) I was sort of stuck as far as my recovery goes before the massage, but low and behold did I see a difference after the massage! The massage person suggested I do it (massage my foot) myself 3x a day and that's what I have been doing and I definitely see a difference. All I can say is massage is helping me with my PF. When I had my first massage I noticed it right away!! For me this is for sure part of the cure!!!

Leopold

DavidW on 6/17/05 at 08:20 (176994)

Robert, Can the deep tissue massage be harmful in any way? Sort of like over-stretching? Although I have had great success so far, it seems counter intuitive to perform painful intense massage on my feet when they are supposed to be 'inflamed'. This methodology also does not concur with the often prescribed 'take it easy' methods. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Ron on 6/17/05 at 09:41 (177002)

Inflammation may or may not be present after many years of PF. What you probably have now is plantar fasciosis; that's degeneration of the fascia tissue.

IMVHO, what I would say is keep up with your treatment. What works, works. Don't intellectualize too much. At your present condition it's likely that your feet will continually get worse to the point of no return.

DavidW on 6/17/05 at 14:20 (177018)

Ron, are you saying that you think that I am beyond hope for a full recovery (or partial recovery)? Geesh, I hope not!

Buck T. on 6/17/05 at 17:47 (177028)

Hi Leopold: How are you massaging feet three times a day. Please describe so as to help someone else.

Sincerely, Buck T.

DavidW on 6/17/05 at 18:47 (177030)

I walked 1/2 mile today with very little discomfort! This only after 5 sessions with the LMT! Kind of pathetic since 3 years ago I regularly hiked 5 miles over rough terain, and roller bladed for hours on end. I'll take it though, since I could not walk 50 yards a couple of months ago without agonizing pain for several days afterwards. Yippie so far!

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 6/17/05 at 20:03 (177033)

As long as it feels good and relieves your pain I would continue what you are doing. There is great debate about this 'inflammation' and many researchers suggest that there is no inflammation at all. They feel that fibrotic tissue is causing the pain and that the tissue has altered function therefore stimulating many of the pain cells to be in an excited state. Keep up the good work and hope you are well soon.

Ron on 6/18/05 at 11:37 (177061)

Sorry. I didn't mean that. I meant if you did nothing you would wind up where you're going. Your condition is much like mine where doing nothing isn't a choice, and even with a successful treatment it will take quite awhile to see solid results.

Read the treatment triad. But Dr. Davis recommends ESWT for a treatment, which may or may not be for you.

Re: One more question Robert - Please

DavidW on 6/21/05 at 07:29 (177147)

Robert, Overall the pain is not gone, and I still cannot be on my feet for very long. Although the pain is not nearly as acute as before (maybe 30% - 40% better so far). It seems to be slowly fading. Is this the normal way pain goes away with this treatment? I have only had 5, 1 hour treatments so far (another today).

Thanks in advance.

Re: One more question Robert - Please

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 6/21/05 at 08:56 (177155)

Plantar fascitis is generally caused by repetitive trauma to the plantar fascia over a certain length of time. This time frame could be a year or longer. This condition develops slowly and manifests itself very abruptly most of the time. So it will take you a while to recover from this condition. The pain will dissipate slowly and steadily if the treatment is effective.

Re: Getting better!

DavidW on 6/22/05 at 05:10 (177204)

I walked 3/4 of a mile last night after my 6th session with the massage therapist and I had very little discomfort. And I walked in the evening, around 6pm! Usually by this time I am a cripple! The 6th session was pretty intense. The therapist spent 30 minutes on each side of my body with at least 15 minutes of intense massage per foot. Gonna keep going and hoping for steady improvements.