Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

torn planter fascia

Posted by Butch on 6/17/05 at 13:32 (177017)

I have been diagnosed as having a torn planter fascia. Is there any therapy or rehabilitation which should be done to maintain the increased length of the fascia and to help break down excissive scar tissue?

Re: torn planter fascia

fernando on 6/17/05 at 14:24 (177019)

Butch, what kind of test did you Doctor make to diagnose this??, I think I have the same, I do not longer have morning pain, now it hurts all the time...

??

Ron on 6/20/05 at 14:24 (177103)

I've read in the abstracts in a study that said that the 'rupture' of the plantar fascia actually decreased, if not eliminated, the heel pain. That is, the PF was gone. However, it probably caused different problems.

(ASSUMPTION)
I'm guessing that the fascia rupture actually increases the length of said fascia, and decreases the pulling on the heel. An operation must be nothing more than a controlled tear, but without the attendant problems (but sometimes there are).

My apologies if this is way off the mark.

Ralph on 6/20/05 at 16:23 (177114)

Ron,
I think you are correct about the tearing of the fascia. I also think all the complications that can come from what you describe as 'controled tearing' or P.F. surgery can still happen to a person that has ruptured their P.F. 'Controlled tearing', surgery or rupture of the main supporting body of the foot still means it has been compromised. An artificial support, orthotic, might be needed to provide support.