Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain

Posted by Hoopa on 6/18/05 at 23:22 (177065)

I am some problems with my left foot. A few months ago, I noticed that I was getting a pain in the heel of my foot. At first, this pain would be more noticeable after I have been sitting for a while then try to get up to walk. Within the past few weeks, I noticed that this has been happening when I get up in the morning after sleeping all night. It usually takes a few minutes for the soreness to go away and for me to be able to put my whole foot on the floor. Until then I have to limp. Within the last few days, I have noticed that the pain in the heel has been occuring at various times during the day when I am not on my feet. Even though it seems like it is getting worse and not better, right now it is more of an annoyance then anything else. I am not sure whether a Podiatrist or an Osteopath (in case it is a heel spur that is growing) is the right doctor to go to for this problem. Any suggestions?

Re: Heel pain

Orfie on 6/20/05 at 08:24 (177076)

Hi. I had the same kind of pain that you described and I went to a Podiartrist. He took and x-ray of my feet and comes to find out that I had heel spurs in both feet. I just had surgery on one foot because the phsyical therapy, othotics, stretching and the shots did not work for me. It's a slow recovery; I don't have the heel pain anymore I just have soreness on my ankle and the top of my foot, the doctor says it's normal. If you doctor tells you you have a heel spur try out all the other alternatives before you go under the knife. It's hard the first three weeks. Good Luck!!

Ron on 6/20/05 at 13:55 (177098)

[Comment on your comment and Orfie's.]

This sounds like the classical signs of Plantar Fasciitis (PF). A Podiatrist will be able to diagnose you properly.

As for any 'heel spur,' it might or might not be a problem for you, and an operation is something you will want to consider if any of the other conservative treatments don't cure your ailment.

Read this site for more information, after you know it's PF for sure.

Hoopa on 6/20/05 at 23:14 (177134)

Thanks Orfie. I made an appointment with an orthopedist. Hopefully it is not a spur but if it is I will let you know. Thanks again.

Hoopa

Hoopa on 6/20/05 at 23:17 (177135)

Thanks Ron. I made an appointment with an orthopedist today. Hopefully, it is nothing. If it is, than I hope it is the lesser of the two evils. Unfortunately, my appointment isn't for a few weeks. That is the earliest I could get. I will try to get an earlier appointment with another doctor that I know and trust. When I get the results back, I will let you know.

Thanks,

Hoopa

Ron on 6/21/05 at 20:06 (177184)

You sure you don't mean a Podiatrist?

Hoopa on 6/21/05 at 23:46 (177196)

I have a referral for a podiatrist. I am thinking of cancelling my appointment with the orthopedist. Wasn't sure who would be the best MD to go to for this problem. By the way, today was a good day with the foot. It very little when I put it on the floor. Is it usual to have days when there is less pain?

Ron on 6/22/05 at 21:45 (177232)

Differing degrees of pain on a daily basis seems to be very normal. For me, it depends on degree of activity, type of activity and degree of stretching which makes a difference in my heel pain the next day.

Hoopa on 6/23/05 at 23:08 (177269)

Thanks Ron,

I have been having at least three good as far as being able to get my foot on the floor in the morning. However, I am beginning to notice increased soreness in the underside of my foot. I work in a preschool and today was graduation day. That means I was on my feet a lot today. I will see how it affected my foot tomorrow.

BTW: I made an appointment with a Podiatrist for next week. I will keep the appointment that I have made with the Orthopedist, which is about 3 weeks away. I decided to use the Orthopedist as a second opinion depending on what I learn from the Podiatrist next week.

Hoopa on 6/23/05 at 23:11 (177270)

I meant to say that I have been having at least three good days with my foot so far this week. Have to learn to proof read my messages before posting them.

Melissa on 6/24/05 at 21:13 (177288)

Hello Hoopa,

Been having the same symptoms as you for about 2 months-am going to the podiatrist Monday. I bought some arch supports for my shoes that seem to help-also get yourself a pair of thick sponge soled bedroom slippers to wear in the house. This helps them feel better. But forget in the morning and after sitting a while-I walk like Ozzy Osbourne! Keep us posted after your visit to your podiatrist and I'll do the same.

Hoopa on 6/24/05 at 22:49 (177292)

I was okay for most of the day. It pained a little bit after taking the kids in the school for a walk to a fast food restaurant. Then it really took revenge after I sat down for a half hour and then tried to walk. It is as as bad, if not worse then it had been before the pain subsided a few days ago. I took a nap after getting home from work and when I tried to get up, I could not even put my foot on the floor. It has been a few hours now and am still having problems. I can not wait to get to the Podiatrist.

Re: Heel pain relief

ImogeneB on 6/24/05 at 23:20 (177294)

I have suffered with plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis for over 5 years and have recently discovered a product that I am absolutely in love with. The product is a topless sandal, a one centimeter thick piece of EVA covered with fabric and hypoallergenic adhesive that sticks to your foot. I bought my first pair in late April, and I am amazed at the relief I get from wearing these awesome shoes. They are flat, but mold to your feet after a couple of wearings. The best part is they make you feel like your foot is taped, but the shoe is totally flexible when you walk. The topless sandals cost $10 each and come in small, medium, and large for both men and women. I buy mine from an internet site called 'barefootinaz.com' They are great for running around the house or walking the dogs, but you couldn't jog in them, although I have worn them on the treadmill and the glider at the gym. They are guaranteed to stick for a year, but they don't last that long. You wash them with soap, water, and a brush when they are dirty or don't stick as well. Ultimately, when they stop sticking to your feet, you send the old pair with $4 shipping and handling to the manufacturer and they send you a new pair. I've replaced mine twice since April with absolutely no problem.
Try them...you will be amazed.

Kathy G on 6/25/05 at 18:48 (177318)

Hoopa,

I found my Podiatrist to be much more knowledgeable about PF than my Orthopedic surgeon. But this Board has been my salvation and I suggest that you read Scott's Heel Pain Book so that you arrive at your appointment with some knowledge.

And, yes, in the beginning, I found that it took up to two days before I would feel pain from doing too much. And now, sometimes my feet hurt for no apparent reason so it's not unusual to have 'good feet days' and 'bad feet days.' You kind of have to roll with it.

Good luck with your appointment and keep us posted!

Hoopa on 6/26/05 at 23:22 (177350)

I have been having a number of good days this week, except when I had to walk today. Then the pain came back for a while. I am going to keep my appointment with the Podiatrist even if the pain stops. I have a feeling that the relief is only temporary.

KW on 6/27/05 at 15:42 (177374)

Hoopa,
Something that has helped many people is stretching a little before you get up from sitting/sleeping. I think of it as awakening your muscles before you put your foot on the floor with the weight of your body. Just do a few ankle rotations and maybe try Julie's foot yoga. This might help just until you get to the pod.

Hoopa on 6/28/05 at 00:12 (177396)

Thanks KW.

I think the reason why I have felt less pain during the last few days was because I read about stretching exercises on the website. Although, I don't know if I am doing them correctly, they seem to be helping a little bit. The pain is definitely still there though.

KW on 6/28/05 at 13:57 (177430)

It does take quite a long time to go away, but once you start feeling some results that is very positive! I am feeling the best I have felt in 4-5 months and that makes me very happy! Do you have good arch supports? That may really help and I LOVE Birkenstocks. I will reccommend those in an instant. Keep your head up!

Hoopa on 6/28/05 at 22:04 (177456)

Actually, I work in a Special Education Preschool. So there are physical therapists on staff. Today one asked me why I was limping. When I explained my pain to her, she showed me an exercise I could do against the wall to stretch my foot. Then she had me lay down on a mat in the physical therapy area of the school and take off my shoe. She pulled my leg straight up in the air, put my foot at a 90 degree angle with my leg, then she pulled down on my toes almost to a point where my toes touched my shin. She told me my muscles were really tight. She also massaged my foot and when she touched the right spot, I winced with pain. Eventhough what she was doing to me hurt at the moment, it made my foot feel better for a number of hours afterward. I have to make a point of remembering the exercises she did so that I can do them later.