Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ART question for Dr. Rob Sanfilippo

Posted by Robbie on 6/20/05 at 14:15 (177102)

I am a healthy, 27 year old female and I've had PF for 4 months now in both feet and have been doing the recommended stretches, icing, wearing night splints, resting a lot, and going to physical therapy 2 days a week for the last 8 weeks. I read about ART on this message board, did some research, and decided to give it a try. I went for my 4th ART treatment today and have seen a little relief, but not too much change.

My question is about my ART visits. The chiropractor I am seeing is fully certified in ART. My concern is each time I go for a treatment, the chiropractor will work on each foot for about 1 to 2 minutes per foot. I feel like he is not working with me all that much, but maybe this is standard and not much time is needed to get results? He says I should be seeing results after 6 treatments, which is 2 weeks of treatments at 3 times per week. Should my visits be longer than 2-4 minutes each? Thanks for your input!

Re: ART question for Dr. Rob Sanfilippo

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 6/20/05 at 18:18 (177122)

Hello there Robbie, and thank you for asking me that important question. I am fully certified in ART and the next step if I wanted was to be an instructor for the technique. So in a nutshell I am very proficient with my techniques. The only doctor that I know that proficient is Dr. Leahy himself and he invented the technique. You could conceivable treat just the plantar fascitis in 1-2 minutes but is it really being affective?? I seriously doubt it is and you don't seem to have improved at all. So therefore the doc is doing a mediocre job or he is missing the offending structures. My experience with treating PF is that I spend usually about 10-15 minutes of pure treatment time with the patient. The reason being is because I assess and treat the entire kinetic chain starting from the low back, gluts, hamstrings, gastrocnemius, achilles tendon, plantar fascia. That is the right way to assess someone with PF. Treatment frequency is usually 2 visits a week for a few weeks. 3 visits a week is way too much in my opinion. The tissue doesn't have enough time to recuperate and heal. Your doctor should be spending quality time with you and getting the job done. Not every ART doc is the same and proficient with the technique. The hardest thing to develop with this technique is your sense of 'touch.' So if you have any questions feel free to ask away. I'd be happy to help you. Be well.

Amy on 6/20/05 at 20:36 (177131)

I am being treated for some nerve issues in my feet - which may be related to chronic PF - regardless, my ART doc spends an hour with me. My problem is bilateral, so basically a 1/2 hour on each foot and leg. 1-2 minutes seems very short.

HilaryG on 6/21/05 at 07:36 (177148)

Wow an hour.. I'm impressed. My problem is bilateral and my doctor spends a half hour with me.

Robbie on 6/21/05 at 08:15 (177150)

Thanks for your response Dr. Sanfilippo. One thing my chiropractor did recommend was going to a massage therapist for leg work - since he was just working with the feet. Not sure if this would be as valuable as ART would be in these areas. Also, are all licensed massage therapist trained to work with PF or can they make the problem worse?

Amy, Hilary - what state are you located in? Dr. Sanfilippo you are in NY correct? I guess I might need to call around the area I am in (NC) and see if there is another certified ART person that will work with me more than just a few minutes per session. I really feel like the technique would work if more time was spent on me since I have seen a small amount of relief in one foot over the last week.

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 6/21/05 at 08:52 (177154)

Robbie, you are quite welcome. Massage therapy is good but it also depends on the skill of the therapist and the technique they are utilizing. I believe that ART would be much more effective than a general or deep tissue massage. I feel that you should have the muscles of your legs assessed and worked on. That would probably provide you with significant relief.

Robbie, I'm in Westchester County just north of Manhattan. You can go to the website, http://www.activerelease.com and click on find a provider. Type in your zip code and docs in the area will come up. I hope you find someone who can help you. Be well.

HilaryG on 6/21/05 at 14:22 (177172)

Robbie, I am in NY State. My chiro works on my calves in addition to my feet. I don't think a massage therapist would do the trick.

DavidW on 6/22/05 at 05:15 (177205)

Robbie, I am seeing a licensed massage therapist who is helping me (so far) greatly. He has been practicing for 18 years and the sessions are quite intense. He spends alot of time (60 minute sessions) on my hips, legs and feet. I am not sure what technique he uses but I don't really care because it is working. I have had six 60 minute sessions so far and I must say that I am 60% better already. I live in NY.

Amy on 6/22/05 at 09:11 (177210)

i am in the mountains of colorado
Amy