Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just diagnosed

Posted by Kerry S on 6/21/05 at 01:02 (177140)

I am a 28yrold female living in Australia and have been suffering in silence for 3yrs, that is till last month when i bit the bullet and went to my Doctor.He diagnosed my ailment as Plantar Fasciitis. This is the first time i have looked the 'condition' up and i am impressed. Do you know if these products on the site r found in Australia, as i am in desperate need! I have been having accupuncture treatment once a week for the last month with not much relief. Thank you

Re: Just diagnosed with TTS after being treated for PF for 11months

lara on 5/20/05 at 09:59 (175353)

I had TTS which was misdiagnosed as PF for 3 years! before it was diagnosed as 'in my head' - eventually got into an office with someone who knew TTS. asnd was diagnosed promptly. I also ran for a few years in college which I suspect contributed to my current condition.

My understanding is the NCV test is pretty conclusive if you get a positive test. It has very few false positives (a lot more false negatives).

My understanding is TTS probably doesn't heal on its on - but some people (i.e. me) can be successfully treated so they can have a nice life, although it may require a change in lifestyle.

If I decided on surgery I'd go to someone with lots of experience with TTS surgery - be it a Pod or orthopedist.

My experience is very few doctors understand or are aware of TTS. After I was diagnosed (after about 6 doctors from various fields), I wandered over to the local med school library to look for a text that might cover this. I found HUGE book (probably 8-1/2x11, 2 inches thick) in the orthopedic section, covering JUST ankle and foot. THere was 1-1/2 columns on TTS. The first surgery wasn't until the 60's I believe. You can increase your chances of finding a doc that knows TTS. I stumbled upon one when I decided to try a doctor that advertised as working with sports injuries. I was suspicious that my tennis, karate, jogging may be contributing. Even with that, TTS is sufficiently new on the medical scene (at least in its recognition and treatment) that you may want to do your own medical research (this board is a great place).

As for surgery, this is my understanding from being on this board for several years
1. Most people (I'm guessing 70%) find some relief after surgery. The recovery is weeks to months, and the relief may last months/years, or may be forever.
2. Some people (I'm guessing 20%) are no better and no worse, after the recovery period is over.
3. Some people (I'm guessing 10%) are worse off after surgery.
This last figure is why most (but not all) people on this board suggest surgery as a last resort. TTS is trickier than many surgeries. First you are dealing with nerves, not organs. Second, any surgery below the knee has a greater chance of infection and complications. The blood flow that aids healing just isn't as good the farther you get from the heart.

Chances of successful surgery is increased if there is a known cause. Particularly if there is a mass to be removed, or varicose vein (which may or may not be known prior to surgery and doesn't always show up on the MRI).

There are treatments that can be tried. If there is no known cause, I'd suggest trying compression socks. They gave me a nice life back and I consider them magic. I noticed a difference immediately, but it took weeks/months for my feet to calm down and stabilize. I also gave up jogging, karate, tennis. But I can do enough with my feet to get in an aerobic workout - but I'm careful what kind of exercise I do.

Sorry, don't know anyone in Atlanta, but people on this board seem to love Dr. Dellon, who I think is in Maryland if you can get up there.

Karen b on 5/20/05 at 10:07 (175355)

Cary, I have been diagnosed with TTS. The balls of my feet are what really
burns and hurts. I know about the shoe thing. I haven't worn dress shoes for two years. I don't know about the test being conclusive. I have been told that the nerve will not heal. I had TTS nerve release surgery, but it didn't not work. I would proceed with caution on that.
Have you tried orthotics. My advice is find a really good podiatrist.
I have learned that the body can adapt to most anything and you sort of learn to live with the pain. Neurontin works with me and Elavil at night.
Also, Cymbalta works well with some people. God bless. I understand how you feel. Karen b

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/20/05 at 13:01 (175366)

Did you have a nerve conduction velocity (NCV) test? Any pain at night?

Darlene on 5/20/05 at 19:18 (175390)

Hi. Wow, doctors do not seem to be up on TTS. I've been doing research also, and I made a post today, just now. You have had this mis-diagnosis for 3 years? I don't think that doctors really 'study' new developments much. My dr has ruled out everything, and because I am under a LOT of stress in my life (going thru divorce, 2 teenage kids), I think he thinks it is psychological, and he certainly makes me feel that way. I have to INSIST on more tests. So Monday, I will call him to tell him about TTS and to get an MRI. You can e-mail me about this if you like to: (email removed). I would appreciate emotional support. The pain is tremendous, and shoots up to my knees. Lots of tingling sensations, even when at rest in bed. my heels and ankles hurt. but it all started on the soles of my feet, and at Christmas 04 I could NOT walk and had to take time off work until dr put me on 1000 mgs of Naproxin, still NOT knowing what I have. I did not even hear about TTS until yesterday when I went to neurologist. She said my nerves are fine, but will do a TTS test on June 13. I think I need an MRI OF BOTH FEET, what do you think? I hope to hear from you soon. - Darlene

messed up foot on 5/23/05 at 10:51 (175534)

Hi Darlene,

I had left foot TTS surgery in February - my EMG and MRI in November showed that my foot was 100% normal - except for a broken bone. The MRI missed a torn peroneal tendon (fixed in December) and the nerve entrapment. During surgery, the doc found that the nerve to my heel was entraped in the sheath. None of this showed up in the tests so you can have 100% normal results and TTS. Same symptoms are starting in the right foot. Oh boy!

This surgery is not necessarily going to make your feet feel better - so if you go for surgery, make sure that you know the pros and cons! I'd also find another doctor who will actually listen to you! TTS is real and has NOTHING to do with your stress levels. Obviously we all deal with pain better when our stress levels are low but that doesn't mean that is doesn't really hurt. This website has a lot of experienced people (clinical and practical knowledge) so come here for support any time.

Karen b on 6/06/05 at 08:58 (176182)

Dr. Ed, I have had a nerve conduction velocity test. Actually, I don't have pain at night once the nerve settles down. I also take 50 mg. of
Elavil at night and I actually rest. I am taking 600 mg of Neurontin
because I can't see a difference when I go higher. Why put that medication
in your body when it doesn't help. Any more suggestions?
Thank you, Karenb

Re: Just diagnosed

Robert J. Sanfilippo, DC, CCSP, ART on 6/22/05 at 21:33 (177228)

Hello there Kerry, and I'm sorry to hear about your PF. If you have been suffering for 3 years you are well into plantar fasciosis which is the infiltration of scar tissue into the plantar fascia and adjacent structures. You can still irritate the plantar fascia causing a fascitis but it is mainly the buildup of fibrotic tissue. I can't speak for the other docs on here but I can tell you about my methods of treatment. I utilize the Active Release Technique and Graston soft tissue techniques. These techniques allow me to assess a patient and treat the area of concern. I also utilize manipulation to improve overall biomechanics of the spine and peripheral joints. If I'm not mistaken, there are practitioners in Australia that utilize active release techniques. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask me. So 'Good Day' to you. I love saying that :)

Re: Just diagnosed

Ron on 6/22/05 at 23:38 (177237)

There are many techniques in dealing with Plantar Fasciitis (PF), but Accupuncture *may not* be one of them. Without going into a debate whether or not accupuncture has validity, it's very unlikely that accupunncture can help because PF is considered to be a biomechanical problem, and one to believed to have a solution that deals with the biomechanics involved. Although, if you have the money, it won't hurt to continue the treatments and actually might help if it can reduce pain and bring blood flow to the feet.

It would take a book to really go into detail about each technique, but you'll find much information on this site including stretching, ice or heat, orthotics, better shoes and rest, all for something you can do on your own. ESWT might be a great option for you right now because your condition has probably gone past fasciitis into the fasciosis stage.

I, too, am at the fasciosis stage and it's not an easy route. Don't fool yourself into believing there is going to be a simple answer. The best thing you've done is found this site and message board. You'll be light years ahead of the average sufferer who just listens to his doctor.

Please read this site. There are links at the top of the page that will help you greatly in knowing what kinds of treatments there are.

Here are some links to get you started. Pay particular attention to the treatment triad:

http://view.atdmt.com/NYC/iview/stdyxvst0270000131nyc/direct;wi.468;hi.60/01&2005. ?

Good luck!